5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2015 8:52 AM by John Stoltzfus

How do I make a custom property template default?

Austin Carey

I just recently made a custom property template with the property tab builder, and I placed the template in the correct folder.  When I open the custom property tab I get the following menu:

Custom Property 1.JPG

My template is the only template in that drop down menu, and when I open it I get the Custom Properties tabs I want:

Custom Property 2.JPG

My question is how do I set my template so that whenever I select a part it automatically opens my template, and I don't have to individually select my template from the drop down menu every time?

Thanks!

• Re: How do I make a custom property template default?
          Ed Cyganik

Austin,

Once you have created a custom property file (*.prtprp or *.asmprp or *.drwprp), place them in a directory.

Next, Point to the directory using Tools - Options - System Options - File Locations:

Show folders for: Custom Property Files

With this set-up, you can open your part template(s) and apply the required custom property file. Save your part template and you'll now have a part template ready to go with the required properties.

For existing parts, select the custom properties tab in the Task Pane, then select the icon at the bottom, Tooltip: "Click for template options".

Your already half way there.

Eddie

Austin Carey

Ed,

My template is already saved, and I even put the .prtprp in a local folder and changed the file location and still have the same issue.  It appears that my Solidworks Custom property tab is looking for a "Machined part template" that does not exist.  I believe this is the error message that is causing problems. 

Custom Property 3.JPG

I don't understand why there is  one option in the drop down menu instead of just bringing me to the correct template in the first place.

Custom Property 4.JPG

Ed Cyganik

Austin,

Not sure but did you try what I suggested?

For existing parts, select the custom properties tab in the Task Pane, then select the icon at the bottom, Tooltip: "Click for template options".

After this selection, another dialog box will appear in the graphics area.

Select the drop-down arrow and choose "-None-", then OK

Now see if your selection is available from the Task Pane drop down list.

Eddie

Eric Blankinship

Austin,

Hello,  The way you are currently doing it is simply creating the template and having it in the location that the file location tells to look for files.  Even though it is there the setting for what it picks by default in your Part Template is to not select anything.  If you want the Custom Property template to be selected by default every time you open up a new file you need to Overwrite the Part Template File.

1. Open new Part File

2. Set your custom properties in this file to select the one from the drop down menu that you want

3. File > Save As > Change the File type to be a Part Template or .PRTDOT file  (Make sure to have this saved over your old default part template)

4. Now close the file and open a new part file.  It should now have the custom properties you made selected by default

Do note that your company may have a specific Part/Assembly/Drawing Templates that they want everyone to use so you may or may not be allowed to do this as overwriting this file would change the default template for all users. In that case what you can do is create a new default template & setup file locations to have document templates also pull from the new location you choose as well as the pre-existing.  In order to select the template then you will need to be in the advanced option for File > New and both part templates should show up listed there.

Hope this helps

John Stoltzfus

Austin just to support what Eric mentioned, below is a list of my assembly files.