1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 6:12 PM by Kelvin Lamport

Hole pattern not updating when components change

Jarett Diamond

I have a pneumatic assembly (Model 107) that uses a hole pattern to define a series of holes that penetrate a base plate and an enclosure. The location of the holes on the base plate is defined as being:

1) on the face of the base plate

2) concentric with the tubular wall of the pneumatic fitting (shown in cross-section below)

I need to make a new version (Model 110) of the assembly (which for a variety of reasons cannot be made as a new configuration within this assembly) with the internal components relocated, and a new larger base plate. Otherwise it includes many of the same components

I did a Save As and Open of the assembly (now Model 110) in a new folder (folder is called Model 110). Then I made the Base Plate part independent, and saved it in the new folder with a distinct file name as well. I changed the dimensions of this new base plate and saved it in the new folder when prompted. I would have expected the hole to remain in the same position relative to the pneumatic fitting, but it moved!

Or rather, it stayed in the same position as the baseplate for Model 107. And here's the really bizarre part. Note in the snapshot above that the point defining the location where the hole should be is correct -- concentric with the tube of the fitting. And yet the hole is somewhere else.

Here's where I thought I found the solution. When I look at the hole feature (generated by the hole series) that appears Mounting Plate, it shows that its location is defined by out-of-context part Model 107 (not 110).

How do I get the context reference to switch to my new model 110 assembly? I tried different combinations of breaking external references and underiving sketches but it doesn't seem to do the trick. The only thing that works is deleting the hole series and re-creating the holes afresh. However, I know that I will be doing operations like this quite a lot, and it would be convenient to not have to recreate the holes every time. Any insight into this problem would be appreciated.