I can't figure out a way other than placing the surface finish symbol in space and manually positioning it over the tail.
If what you're asking for would be keep the symbol and dimension so they move together, you place an independent symbol as Mr. Snead suggested and then group it with the dimension.
See "Group Annotations" in SW Help.
I'm not in front of SW at the moment, but another method (although it's a bit kludgy) I'm thinking of would be to "replace" the dimension with a note.
1) Create the radial dimension.
2) Create a note, leadered to the radial edge, and click the dimension to insert its text into the note.
3) Insert the surface finish symbol into the note (via the note's property manager),
4) Hide the radial dimension (I'm assuming this step is possible) to eliminate duplication.
See SW Help under "Inserting an Annotation in a Note from a Drawing" and "Inserting an Annotation in a Note from the Note PropertyManager".
I hope this helps.
I have tried many scenarios and none seem to work. I am able to produce a finish symbol with a leader and attach it to the radius leader ( leader without arrow). I have not been able to group the dimension and finish symbol. GROUP is always greyed out.
Thank you all for your responses. It is most appreciated by the Solidworks community when others give their time, talents, and knowledge to help others.
Are you trying for something like this?
In SW2015, you would:
- Dimension the radius.
- Manually position the surface finish symbol.
- Select the dimension and the surface finish symbol and select 'Group' from the 'Align' toolbar.
SW 2009 is pretty old and I would not be surprised if this functionality doesn't exist in that version.