1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 6:29 AM by Jamie Barber

Finding a solid car for Ansys Fluent

Núria Planes

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my final degree project about aerodynamic car simulations with Ansys Fluent.

I need a solid CAD to introduce it into the program. I downloaded several cars from Internet but all of them have the same problem: they are made of surfaces. The problem is that when I try to sew these surfaces together problems appear always.

With one of the CAD which I downloaded, I finally obtained a single surface. But there is a piece of this surface that stays inside the car... that makes me impossible converting it into a solid.

I don't know what to do... Could somebody help me? I attach the last version of my car.

Thank you very much for your cooperation in advance.

• Re: Finding a solid car for Ansys Fluent
          Jamie Barber

ok here is how I sorted the model for you (and got it into a solid)

delete your two knits at the bottom of the tree, this returns your model to having two separate surfaces,

then add in another knit this time selecting both bodies and checking the "try to form solid" option, this then turns it into a solid model for you, you may need to check the "gap control" option in the knit dialog to close up any gaps.

alternatively you can knit using gap control first and then use thicken to create a solid volume

Regards

Jamie