4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 12:26 AM by Jamil Snead

How do you update a file name but keep references in drawing file?

Brent Trotter

I have to make a 3rd revision of a file for a client.

Revision 2 and 3 are very similar so I just copy and pasted the whole file and made the changes in the Assembly file and now i want to update the file name as revision 3.

Now I want the Drawing file to update these changes and also update the file name.

What is the best way to do this.

• Re: How do you update a file name but keep references in drawing file?
          Glenn Schroeder

There are several ways to do that.  Two of the simplest are to Rename them in SolidWorks Explorer, or in Windows Explorer by right-clicking and choosing SolidWorks > Rename (I believe you need to have SW Explorer installed to get these options).   Make sure that the drawing is listed in the dialog box as a Reference before you change the name.

Jesse Robbers

For .sldprt files you can do one of two things. One is to copy paste the 3D file editing it's name during the process. The other is to have the 3D file open, file>save as>change revision in file name>save. You can do the same thing for the 2D .slddrw drawing. The drawing still references the wrong 3D file though, to correct this open the drawing file from within Solidworks but don't open it completely yet. In the bottom right corner of the Open box there is a "References" button, click it. A new window pops up. Double click on the file name, another window pops up. In this window, navigate to and choose the latest Rev 3D file and select OK/yes. Continue choosing OK/Yes/Open for the remaining windows until your drawing is open. Now your Rev 3 2D references your Rev 3 3D file.

Jamil Snead

If you have already created the rev 3 assembly file and you just want a new drawing version to reference it, then I'd recommend the following method:

1. Copy the rev 2 drawing and rename it to rev 3.

2. In SW go to File -> Open and browse for the new rev 3 drawing. Select it but don't pick Open yet. Click the "References" button that sows up.

3. In the Edit References window that pops up it will show the rev 2 assembly file listed there. Double click on the file and then you can browse for the rev 3 assembly file.

4. After finding the rev 3 assembly file click ok and then click Open to open teh drawing. It should now reference the rev 3 assembly.