AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you prevent "Material <not specified>" from showing on the linked drawing note?

Question asked by Seth Renigar on Nov 3, 2015
Latest reply on May 11, 2017 by Matt Peneguy

We just switched from SW2013 to SW2015.  I am going through the existing templates (Part, Assembly, and Drawings) to tweak all of the new settings available over the last 2 releases.  But I've run into a problem.

In our Part templates, I have setup a "Material" property, with the Value/Text Expression of "SW-Material@@Default@Part1.SLDPRT" .  Until a material is applied to the model, the Evaluated Value is "Material <not specified>".  After a material is applied, the Evaluated Value is whatever material was applied.  This still works completely as expected.

The problem is actually on the Drawing.  As you would expect, I have a Material note in the Title Block on the sheet format that links to the Material property of the model.

In SW2013 and prior, if a material was never applied to the model, this note remained blank (or hidden) on the Drawing.  Once a material was applied to the model, this note would update properly on the Drawing.

In SW2015 however, if a material isn't applied to the model, the note on the drawing now displays "Material <not specified>", instead of remaining blank.  It will update properly once a material is applied to the model.  However, I want it to remain blank if a material isn't applied to the model, just as it always has.

I have switched the settings back and forth for both "Annotation Link Errors" & "Annotation Link Variables" under the View menu to try to fix this.  The "Annotation Link Errors" setting would hide/show blank or broken annotations that are linked to the Drawing properties.  But there is no effect on annotations that are linked to the Part properties.

It seems like I vaguely remember some obscure setting that was required to get Part linked notes to hide when they were blank or broken.  But if so, I can't remember what it was.

Can anybody help with this?

Outcomes