AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cosmos Performance in Dual Core Dell

Question asked by Michael Atlas on Sep 25, 2007
Latest reply on Dec 10, 2007 by Morris Field
Hi. I've been running some nonlinear models using CosmosWorks 2007 SP4 on one of two machines. One machine is a Dell M60 Laptop with a 2 Ghz Pentium M and 2GB of RAM. The other is a Dell PWS380 Desktop with a 3 Ghz Pentium D Dual Core CPU and 3GB of RAM. Both are running XP SP2 and both have antivirus turned off for runs. I have also tried the following both with and without the /3GB switch. The model I am running is small enough that it is not hitting swap.

I did some benchmarking between the two machines, expecting that the desktop would be faster.

Running the "Passmark Performance Test 6.1" program on both gave the kind of results I expected showing that the PWS380 was faster almost across the board. Most importantly I would think for Cosmos was that its Floating Point Math was over twice as fast and both memory access and disk access were faster. For some reason the two machines were almost tied in 2 areas, finding prime numbers, and allocating small block memory.

So, I was surprised that when I ran the same Cosmos analysis on each one, my laptop took 3 hours and the PWS 380 took 4!

According to the Cosmos Knowledge Base Cosmos does support multiple processors. See "How do I choose a solver" ID: 80 and "Usage of multiple CPUs and influence on solution time" ID: x385 includes Dual Core CPU's.

I am using the Direct Sparse Solver as recommended and have checked that both CPU's are checked off under "Task Manager, Processes, Set Affinity" yet I can't get CPU utilization above 50% when running analayses on the Dual Core machine, versus the 100% I get on the single core laptop.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

-Mike Atlas

Outcomes