5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2007 4:32 PM by Joy Garon

search by variable

tracy meranda
      I am unable to perform a search by variable"vendor" in PDMWE.

For example, there is a SolidWorks part file that has vendorinformation entered in the "custom" tab of the summaryinformation (SolidWorks->File->Properties). When I use thePDMWE Search and search by variable "vendor"  forthis part file, I get no results. When I search by variable"description", I get many part files. Is there a problemwith the variable "vendor"?

Another part of the problem: The data card has a vendor variablefield on it, but the vendor name only appears on the card when apart file is checked out and saved (even if no changes were made).When searching by vendor, I am entering the vendor name andusing the comparison "text contains".
        • search by variable
          J Garon
          Tracy -

Is there a spot on your data card to extract the vendor variable from the SW file?
          If yes, check to see that the variable is correctly mapped to extract the Vendor variable from the SW file.

See attached images.

Joy
            • search by variable
              tracy meranda
              Joy-

The variable "vendor" is correctly mapped to SW, and Ihave the correct variable definitions (as shown in your images). Inoticed in your explorer view of the second image, that you checkedout the part as an Administrator...is it necessary to check out thepart for the vendor name to be displayed in the data card? BecauseI wish for the vendor name to appear in the file data card whensimply clicking on the part name in the explorer view (whenpart is not checked out).

Thanks for your time and attention to this problem,
              Tracy
                • search by variable
                  Joy Garon

Hi Tracy -

No, you do not have to have the documentchecked out. The variable should be extracted as soon as you addthe file to the vault.

Are you sure the variable on your data card iscorrect?

Regards,

Joy

• search by variable
                      tracy meranda
                      Joy-- I think I may have targeted the problem: under properties in the explorer view of PDMWE (right click thepart -->properties), there is nothing listed under the customtab. I thought I had everything else correct, but not sure whyvariable is not mapping...?

thanks,
                      tracy
                        • search by variable
                          Joy Garon

Tracy -

Have any of the other properties beenextracted to the file data card? Ie: Description.

Try this - create a new dummy vault. Modifythe data card to map the appropriate variable and add the file tothe vault. See if that works. I need to ask someone else why avariable might not get extracted.

What version of SolidWorks, PDMWorksEnterprise and SQL Server are you using?

Joy