6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2007 12:02 PM by Ian Hogg

Selecting an inner face

James  Sidgwick

I am trying to select an inner face in order to apply a boundarycondition in Floworks, but there does not seem to be a face toselect. Is it possible to create a face? I have cycled through allthe faces on the model but the one I want does not exist. Any helpwould be appreciated thanks./

• Selecting an inner face
          Ian Hogg
          HI James,
          To analyze just internal flow you need to define caps/lids for theentry and exit areas (so that it is a fully enclosed volume). Thisis best done through adding additional parts/bodies. In 2008 thereis an "autocapping feature" but I have not tried it in awide variety of situations to have a good feel for how itperforms.
          Remember that you need to make sure the caps do not form a poorcontact(e.g. 2 solids just touching just along an edge). They needto seal the internal volume (solids that overlap work well). Thereis information on this on the online help (which is prettycomprehensive). I'd also recommend doing the supplied tutorial forinternal flow (ball valve design).
          Hope this helps you out.
          Cheers,
          Ian
              James  Sidgwick

Thanks a lot. I can't seem to find the tutorial. Where might Iget it from? James

Ian Hogg
                  Hi James,
                  From the HELP menu, after loading FloWorks (and having a part or assembly open), there should be a COSMOS - COSMOSFlowWorks Online tutorial item. This will launch a pdf with several tutorials to go through. The files are located in the FloWorks installation directory (subdirectory Examples).

Cheers,

Ian
                      James  Sidgwick

Thanks Ian. I am using software at university and I think it isslightly different. There are not any tutorials available on thehelp menu when I have floworks and an assembly open - just thenormal solidworks tutorials. I am using 2006. Does that one comewith tutorials? I have tried going into the directory but cannotfind them. James

James  Sidgwick

OK forget that - I have found the tutorials. I was hoping thatit would give a step by step guide as to how to do it but it doesnot. Thanks for the help.

Ian Hogg
                              For things like a pipe, the simplest way to cap the ends is to create a part in the context of the assembly. Use the end of the pipe for a sketch plane and the inner edge for the profile. Extrude it into the pipe a small distance and then use the inner face when you want to define the boundary conditions at that end.

Repeat the same process for any exits/entrances. If you do this after you already start a FloWorks project, you may need to do an update for it to recognize the new parts and to update the fluid domain.

Cheers,

Ian