0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 2:09 PM by Robert Conklin

How does one STOP the toleranceing of a hole wizard hole (in a drawing) from going back to the part model?  (back driving the model)

Robert Conklin

This is a bit information that could prevent a possible manufacturing mistake.

Generally (all most always) I do not allow any dim in the drawing to be an imported dim from the part/model (I do not mark for import to drawing any dim in the model)  There is no link, no back driving the part/model from the drawing.

All is good.  BUT how does one STOP the toleranceing of a hole wizard hole from going back to the part model?  ( I would like this toleranceing to be only on the drawing and not go back to the part/model and this is only to prevent the problem in the scenario that follows)

When detailing a part/model and applying a tolerance to a "hole wizard" hole in the detail drawing things work fine, just detailing a part/model and placing it into a drawing means that the part/model is opened even if the part/model is not directly opened or an assembly containing the part not directly open.  The tolerance in the drawing will go back to the part/model and the part "hole wizard" hole in the part/model will reflect the new tolerance upon save. Good the drawing back drives the model.

The problem arises if you send out your part/model files via a say Pack-N-Go for detailing (to a detailing sub contractor OR for that mater put them on a thumb drive for your co-worker to detail)  When they come back and you do not put the detail drawings AND the returned parts files that they ref back to where they belong on your machine and if there were any edits in the drawing to any hole wizard hole, toleranceing, or if any dim that WAS imported to the drawing from the part during the detailing was edited...  You will have trouble.  So be sure to put the part files back when you get the detail drawings back.

For if you DO NOT put the, Part/Model Files, BACK, at a later time, when you open the  drawing you think it will be OK but the old original part/model will be what this new drawing is referencing and it will NOT, the original part/model, contain the new tolerance specifications that were "back driven" to the parts/models that the detailer had when the drawings were created.

When the drawing is then reopened, the drawing will reflect the, from the original part/model, the original tolerance specification or size in a dim marked for export not the new size or tolerance applied during the detailing .

But by manually inserting a "hole note" and editing the dim tolerance the above effect / problem will NOT occur.  But I like the hole wizard and I like how it calls out holes on the drawings.