5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2007 12:17 PM by Charles Culp

Project to Plane

Jay Kyle
      Hello,

I'm new here and have just migrated from Alibre. I must admitworking in Solidworks is a lot faster than Alibre. However there'sone feature in Alibre that I cannot seem to figure out inSolidworks, called 'Project to Sketch'... where I create a sketchplane offset from a part, but I need to project edges from the partonto the sketch plane as dependant construction geometry fordimensional references.

Any idea how I should go about doing this?

Thanks

Jay

• Project to Plane
          Matt Lombard
          Use Convert Entities on the Sketch toolbar.

Best of luck!
            • Project to Plane
              Steve Calvert
              Jay, if you have an edge and you want to make a circle in your sketch tangent to it, just use geometric constraints and make it tangent. You don't have to project any edges to the sketch for that. Or, if you understand any of Pro/E you wouldn't have to select the edge to be used as a refernece. Geometric constraints work very well for most items.

Steve
                • Project to Plane
                  Jay Kyle
                  Hey, thanks for the response!

I called in to Solidworks about another issue and asked them as well. They say the secret is to create the 3D plane, and select 'Insert Sketch' as opposed to 'Insert 3D sketch". Then when I use the Convert Entities command it creates the geometry on the plane, just what I was asking for.

But to be honest what I'm really after is to create holes on a plane that sits above the part. So using the method above I can create the holes manualy, but can I do it with the hole wizard. I've been fighting this one all night and still can't figure it out.

The part I've included shows the plane I need to start the hole from.

Jay
                    • Project to Plane
                      Steve Calvert
                      Not sure I follow your problem. You don't have to have a plane to start a sketch or hole feature unless you're trying to make it on a non-planar surface. Your pictur shows me a plane that looks to be offset from a face on that rectangle cut. Again, you don't need a plane to do a hole wizard. Just select the face and use geometric constraints for tabgent, if that's what you need.

Steve
                      • Project to Plane
                        Charles Culp
                        1.) Unselect everything in the viewing area.

2.) Click on Hole Wizard.

3.) Set up your hole type.

4.) Then click on the Tab for Positions.

5.) Now use your sketch tools, and specifically the convertentities tool, to place the hole.  Holes are placed where everthere is a "sketch point".  They must reside on aface of a part, and they must be constrained with the "onsurface" constraint.  You can create other lines foralignment, as well as dimensions.  Just make sure to changethem to "construction geometry" before you exit.

By your image, it looks like you are trying to cut a hole in space? To use the hole wizard you must define the point where thecut enters the surface of the solid part.