8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2007 10:22 PM by Bernhard Leitner

2008 Rapid Sketch

Matt Lombard
      Is anyone using the Rapid Sketch functionality in 2008? Please answer the poll.

If you would like to elaborate on your poll response, please do so here.
        • 2008 Rapid Sketch
          Anna Wood
          For those that do not know what Rapid Sketch is here is a short blurb on the basic concept.

http://labs.solidworks.com/Blog/Blog.aspx?post=7

Matt, looks like interesting functionality. I haven't had time to test SW2008 yet for any amount of useful time. Plan to look at Rapid Sketch when I finally am able to use SW08 as it looks promising.

Cheers,
          • 2008 Rapid Sketch
            Kelvin Lamport
            Looks helpful. Does it only work via the Rapid Sketch icon or can it be used in combination with other functions?
            i.e. Can it be used after an extrude/extrude-cut tool has been activated but before a sketch has been created?
              • 2008 Rapid Sketch
                Matt Lombard
                I think if you have it on, you can simply start sketching on a different face/plane just by doing it. If you do several sketches, it seems to get you into an odd state where multiple sketches display as active below the rollback bar, but you can only edit one at a time.

Of course the Help entry on the topic is utterly useless in terms of explaining anything other than the obvious. And somehow it is completely missing from the Whats New, except for being mentioned obliquely without mentioning that the function has a name as a part of the Instant3D discussion. Actually, it appears that the entry for Instant3D has been mislabeled, because it doesn't show Instant3D functionality, it shows Rapid Sketch. Instant3D is mentioned again in the Features section of What's New.

The blog Anna points to is slightly more informative than the Help and the Whats New, but still doesn't describe how to go back and edit a previous sketch. I guess you just make a bunch of sketches in succession, and hope you don't have to edit anything until you're done making sketches. If that's all this does, I have no use for it. It has the smell of a "look, SW has this too" function driven by Inventor or something.

Or the other possiblility is that there really is a point to it, but I just don't understand it, which is entirely possible. It seems to me there was some additional functionality in beta which has been taken out, involving a lock symbol in the graphics area, and maybe with that missing, there really just isn't as much point to it. I remember being very confused about what exactly it did in beta as well.
                  • 2008 Rapid Sketch
                    Anna Wood
                    Matt,

Can one use Rapid Sketch when Instant3D is toggled off? I ask because I see very little use for Instant 3D on our designs other then maybe for very early concept work on a tool.

When I did have SW08 on my home computer I had my monster punch holder file loaded up and accidently dragged an edge with Instant 3D. Needless to say the system locked up and choked trying to evaluate what it needed to do with the 1000 plus cavities in that punch holder.

Accidently dragging something even a tenth (.0001) could be costly in our designs.

I can see Instant 3D having uses, but it will not be toggled on all the time as part of my design workflow.

Cheers,

• 2008 Rapid Sketch
                        Matt Lombard
                        Anna,

Yes, Rapid Sketch can be used when Instant3D is off. That's how I have it set.

I agree about Instant3D. Remember back in SW97, when the Move/Resize Features tool was turned on by default? Remember people flinging holes into space and accidentally changing parts?

Same exact thing 10 years later. Learning the same lessons over again.

Instant3D is a little cooler than Move/Resize, for example, I really like the ability to drag fillet sizes. That's cool. It's probably the one place where I will actually use that tool.
                          • 2008 Rapid Sketch
                            Anna Wood

matt lombard wrote:

Remember back in SW97....

Not really, that was before my time with SolidWorks.... I was still a denzian of the GM Truck Groups interior and sheet metal design teams. GMT 800 program and S-10 truck platform I believe at that time. A lifetime ago, for sure... :-)

Anyway, I hear you. Instant 3D can be very dangerous if one is not paying attention. Which, quite frankly, is way to many users out there. Kinda scary. I am developing my list of items that will be toggled on/off when I do the SW2008 installs here. Instant 3D getting toggled off will be one of the first items in my list.

Glad to know that Rapid Sketch is not tied to Instant 3D. Thank for the info.

Cheers,
                    • 2008 Rapid Sketch
                      Kelvin Lamport
                      If it works with Reference Planes, then I could see it being useful when creating Master/Skeleton/Layout sketches.
                        • 2008 Rapid Sketch
                          Bernhard Leitner

Hi everyone,

Yes I love it. It does work with referenceplanes.  I've only been modeling in solidworks for less than ayear but in my old program Think3 you never had to activate asketch to start drawing. It was always toggled on.  This worksin a similar manner.  

Bernhard