1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 30, 2015 11:57 AM by Andrew Kress

SolidWorks 2015 API SDK and Visual Studio 2015 Community

Paul Chaplin

I've searched high and low on this topic, but haven't really been able to find anything that specifically relates to my issue here. I see plenty of topics regarding things such as not being able to find the API SDK files after installing the SOLIDWORKS API SDK.msi file, and/or not being able to see the template files when you go to New Project... A little background on my setup otherwise, I'm using Visual Studio 2015 Community and want to start (read: in the process of learning how to..) write add-ins in C#. Is VS 2015 Community compatible with the SWcsharpaddin template?

• Re: SolidWorks 2015 API SDK and Visual Studio 2015 Community
          Andrew Kress

It appears that the SDK does not install the project templates into newer versions of Visual Studio.  To get the templates, I was able to open the SDK msi file using 7zip.  I then copied the swcsharpaddin.zip to my Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C# directory.  After creating a new project with the template, I updated my build target to 4.0.  I had to fix all of my SOLIDWORKS references and also add in the Microsoft.CSharp from the Assemblies/Framework tab back in.