8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2008 7:58 AM by Jorn Bjarning

description of SolidWorks UI icons and graphics

Rhyc Sandberg

I was looking for something like a legend or some other singlelocation that would show all of the different icons and graphicsymbols from the SolidWorks user interface.

For instance, I received an assembly from our overseas officeand one of the configurations has an icon I haven't ever seenbefore - a plus sign with the green down arrow just before the nameof the config.

Anyone know what this means?

It would REALLY be nice if there was a location in Helpto reference all graphics like this in the interface.

Thanks,

Rhyc

P.S. I was going to paste a small image of the icon into thismessage, but the message editor for this forum seems to reallybehave odd for me. I'm fairly new to this forum so perhaps I'mmissing something, but whenever I try to type into the messageeditor, it seems to copy previous text with following keystrokes. Ihave been typing up messages in a word processor and then doing acopy/paste to get the message into the editor. Which seems to workuntil I tried copying a message with a small graphic - whichduplicated text again. Any suggestions?

• description of SolidWorks UI icons and graphics
          Kenneth Barrentine
          the icon you describe refers to; the configuration has a derived configuration or an exploded view.

the 2007 cd's have a reference chart included, rather limited though.
            Jonathan Hunter

Rhyc Sandberg wrote:

P.S. I was going to paste a small image of the icon into this
            message, but the message editor for this forum seems to really
            behave odd for me. I'm fairly new to this forum so perhaps I'm
            missing something, but whenever I try to type into the message
            editor, it seems to copy previous text with following keystrokes. I
            have been typing up messages in a word processor and then doing a
            copy/paste to get the message into the editor. Which seems to work
            until I tried copying a message with a small graphic - which
            duplicated text again. Any suggestions?

See:

http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...?catid=5&threadid=4830
              Eddie Cyganik
              Rhyc,
              Sometimes it can be a real challenge getting Help from the SolidWorks on-line help. But stick with it and you'll find that it is a great resource.
              The first attached image is from an "index" search for "over defined.

Believe it or not, the most comprehensive list for commands, menus, shortcuts, icons, etc., can be found in the on-line help titled "Moving from AutoCAD". Take a look at the second image for a description of the Standard Toolbar. There is much to be found.

Lastly, one of the best ways to get help in the first place is to select the "?" (Question Mark) or the "Help" Button in the property manager or dialog box you are in at the time of creation.
                  Rhyc Sandberg
                  I'm really starting to like this forum.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Jonathan, thanks for the link for the work-around for the message editor problem. I hope someone is working on a fix to the Java problem.

Kenneth, in this case, I know there isn't an exploded view and I don't think this is indicating a derived config - because this is no derived config either. And the online help for derived configs has nothing about this (although that's maybe not a reliable indication). I've attached a small jpeg file from my file with this icon. Hopefully this shows up. The HTML message editor did not let me copy and paste the image into the body of the message.

Eddie, thanks for the tip on the "Moving from AutoCAD" help. It's actually a pretty good resource and one that I would have never thought to look at.

I may submit a request to SolidWorks for a legend for all feature tree icons/graphics. There is not as much need for this with tools and menu commands. They're documented fairly well already. But I do sometimes get hung up on something in the feature manager that I haven't seen before.

Rhyc

Jorn Bjarning

Eddie Cyganik wrote:

Believe it or not, the most comprehensive list for commands, menus, shortcuts, icons, etc., can be found in the on-line help titled "Moving from AutoCAD".

Eddie

Out of topic, but thanks for the tip regarding the section "Moving from AutoCAD". I am currently arranging a 1-day introduction course to SW for a management group. The content of this section more or less outlines the content for this event. An example of how valuable it is to spend a little time in forums like this.

Have a nice weekend!
                    Dwight Livingston

Rhyc Sandberg wrote:

It would REALLY be nice if there was a location in Help
                    to reference all graphics like this in the interface.

I need to interprete some icons. Is there a place in help or a file in which all the icons are defined? Somewhere?

Thanks

Dwight