18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 8:15 AM by Peter Ensing

Solidworks uses 50% of pc performance

Peter Ensing

Hello all!

For some time I'm trying to figur out how to work with Solidoworks without frustration of minor lags.

For a long time I thougth our Quadro K4000 was the issue, until I installed HP performance advisor tool.

When running the tool and working with all kind of big assemblies (+6000 parts) and drawings with more than 30 views, sections, and details per drawing, I noticed that solidworks used just about 50% of my pc's hardware performance.

Hp advisor.png

What I don’t understand is when I work in a drawing adding views or making a section view and adding dimensions it still needs to think a couple of seconds, or when zooming in and out there is some lag at every zoom tick.

Or Solidworks is crashing on a drawing with 12 sheets because it cant handle the switching between sheets that sometimes takes 30 sec to load (personally I don’t use more than 1 sheet/drawing to keep the performance speed up).

And yes I'm working on a network folder but even when I put it locally I have the same experiences with just a slightly improvement.

I also changed the settings within solidworks to have better performance but I just dont get why its not using 100% to get rid of all the lags...

Anybody an idea how I could make it run better? I thought about upgrading hardware but it seems not needed watching the graphic.

Or is it that the K4000 has not enough CUDA cores and gflops to work 100%?

I know that its not comparable but I would like to run solidworks like when I'm pro-gaming, when I give the program a command it needs to respond instantly, if the pc cannot keep up with me I upgrade it until it does. I dont have time to wait on inserting a view, section view or switching between sheets...

I hope you can give me some ideas!

Kind regards,

Peter