2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 4:45 AM by Thomas Annet

Heat source dependent on time AND temperature

Thomas Annet

Hello everybody,

I am trying to model a battery module and its heat transfer under Flow Simulation with a time dependent study. The aim is to know the final temperature of the battery under different environment.

I have a current (I) profile from the battery module as an input to determine the temperature increase of the module.

I am having problems with calculating the heat production (the heat source input in FlowSim) of the battery module since :

Using Joules formula :

Heat losses = Internal resistance of the battery*current^2        =>   Heat Losses = R*I²                         (neglecting other heat losses)

The problem is that the internal resistance R is dependent on the temperature, decreasing when the temperature increases, so I would need the direct measure of the temperature from the model to be accurate. I cannot calculate the heat losses on an excel sheet since I don't know what the temperature profile will be.  

My question is :

Is it possible to implement in the heat source parameters, as a time dependent table, a power formula related to a temperature goal for each time step ?

Example: (Ri*(0.5*{PG Internal Temperature})*I^2

With   Ri = constant

I = depending on current profile

PG Internal Temperature = depending on temperature of the battery at each time step

I hope I was clear enough, don't hesitate to ask me anything if I was not.

Thank you in advance,

Thomas

• Re: Heat source dependent on time AND temperature
          Attilio Colangelo

I would recommend setting this up in Solidworks Simulation (not Flow) initially.  You can define heat generation as a function of the battery temperature (Thermal Loads -> Heat Power -> Temperature Curve).  Setting up the curve does require some effort but I think it will allow you to understand the problem without getting into a complex  Flow Simulation. Just my opinion.

Also, you may want to run this as steady state initially and then switch to transient when you are comfortable with boundary condition, etc.

• Re: Heat source dependent on time AND temperature
              Thomas Annet

Hello,

Thank you for your answer, I will try to do what you explained.

I will also run the Flow simulation with the average heat losses in steady state to see if everything looks OK.

I already ran some calculation in transient, and the results seem quiet good when comparing to real tests, only thing is that it takes a very long time and I think I cannot go with a lower timestep or a lower mesh.

Again thank you for your answer, I am also going to send an "improvement demand" to SolidWorks to see if this can be solved directly in the next FlowSimulation update (or the next one ;-) )

Thomas