4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 8:26 PM by Peter Medina

Insert Callout is missing in drawings ('13)

Peter Medina

Hi Everyone - in honor of Back to the Future, I'm still on 2013.

I have cosmetic threads specified in Part holes in the model.  When they're brought into the Drawing, the cosmetic thread halo's the hole.  When I right-mouse-click, the Insert Callout feature is not there.  I've tried all the tricks, such as resetting the options for the file location for hole callout, etc.  One odd thing is that before the reset, clicking on the Cosmetic thread did not bring up the icon, after resetting it now show.  When clicking on the Cosmetic Thread halo, the spec shows up as a pointer-attached preview of information.  But I cannot get Insert Callout to show.  At one point, it worked first on the same drawing, but now it does not work.  Even after many restarts and reboots. 

An interesting anomaly I've found, is if the model does not have a Cosmetic Thread specified and I then add the Cosmetic Thread in the drawing instead of the model, I can then right-mouse-click and Insert Callout will appear as an option.  Help!!  This is driving me nuts.

• Re: Insert Callout is missing in drawings ('13)
          Paul Cullen

Hi Peter

Have you tried "Insert - Annotations - Hole Callout "

hole callout.png

I have the command icon at the top of my toolbar for easy use

hole callout 1.JPG

Paul

Peter Medina

Hi Paul, I have tried that and it does work.  But what it displays as a note is not the specification of the thread such as "m4 x 0.7" which is nice when using Insert Callout.  Instead it just shows the hole specs such as "D4mm x 6mm depth."  I need the thread specs I put in the model.  Otherwise, what use is Cosmetic Threads.

Paul Cullen

Hi Peter

The insert - annotations - hole callout does put in all the information that you need to create tapped holes. It brings in the information from the hole wizard feature. It calls out the following

1. Pilot drill Ø
                  2. Pilot drill depth
                  3. Tap size and thread pitch
                  4. Tap depth

hole callout 2.JPG

Your bigger question is, Why is the insert call out option now working for you now when it has in the past. I can only suggest the following

1. Try creating a new test part and drawing and see if it works
                  2. If the surface that you have the hole on is curved maybe this is messing with the call out
                  3. Make sure that the view of the part in your drawing is normal to hole (looking straight at the hole)
                  4. Upload the part and drawing so somebody can have a look at it for you
                  5. Try to do a repair on Solidworks using the Solidworks install manager

Paul