1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 12:17 PM by Aaron POE

Surface area equation for "face" selection set

Aaron POE

Yet again, an all too common question in the Solidworks world. Now with the help of "selections sets" it does make it much easier and quicker to "measure" the surface area of a large number of faces. But is there a way to create an equation that calculate the surface of a particular selection set? This will allow me to link the calculated value in my drawing and get an updated figure whenever the part and/or assembly is changed? Trying to eliminate human error and possibly save a little time as well.

• Re: Surface area equation for "face" selection set
          Aaron POE

I retract my previous comments about using selections sets of faces and the measure tool to get the surface area of said faces. Apparently that doesnt work either, which is very aggravating. I've got 1200+ faces I need the to find the surface area for and if I have to continue to select all these faces (or do an invert selection of the faces not needed 200+) anytime a part or assembly changes, I'm going to lose my mind!

I've gone through multiple times to make sure there were no stray edges, points, bodies, etc selected causing the "invalid combination". I've even re-created the selection sets using a "face filter" to ensure no stray edges were selected and still have no success. I guess we need an enhancement request for this one!