1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 1:01 PM by Brent Toavs

Choosing Mesh Points for Loads and Constraints

Craig Jameson

I have a bent that is part of a larger warehouse.  The bent was hit by a front-end loader and suffered yielding.  We used our 3-D Laser scanner to scan the bent and model it within Solidworks.  There are rafters every 54" on the top flange of the bent and i would like to choose or create these certain points to add constraints and forces to the model.  My original thought was to use a sketch to mark the point the on the top flange in which to add the constraints and forces, however do to the irregular nature the top flange, i could not figure out how to keep the sketch portion "on-top" of the flange.  Another thought, when looking at the mesh, it would be nice to be able to choose certain "nodes" to add forces in constraints too, but in the External Loads Menu and the Fixtures Menu, i do not find the options to be able to choose the nodes of the mesh.  Anyone have any advise on how to accomplish this task, any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

• Re: Choosing Mesh Points for Loads and Constraints
          Brent Toavs

In SWX simulation I've never seen any way to directly interact with the mesh to locate loads & constraints. 

If I understand your problem correctly, the method I would use would be to use split faces.  This can be done by creating a plane roughly parallel to the top face of the I-beam and sketching the locations of the rafters & supports on that plane.  Then split the top face (or other location if req'd, e.g., if the supports go to the bottom of the beam) by selecting Features/Curves/Split Line and projecting your sketch onto the appropriate surface.  These faces can be selected to apply loads or constraints.  You may have to get creative to apply the loads in whatever direction you feel is most correct in the area where the beam is twisted the most.

If that beam is as big as it measures in SWX, I am wondering how you were able to scan it?

In this screenshot I offset the sketch plane just for clarity.  Hope this helps.