6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 7:38 PM by Dennis Bacon

layers in drawings not working

Ben D.

Hello,

if I create a part, then make a drawing, and then try to assign different properties of colors/thicknesses to different layers, these properties of objects do not change. I had this issue with SW 2014, and now I am on 2015, but now I really need this function. If I change a color or a thickness of an individual line, then it works. But if I want to assign a color/thickness to several different objects using layer - these objects remain unchanged. I think I am missing something, but I read help, forums, googled it and still can't figure it out. Please see attached video:

How should I change a properties of lines and other objects (dimensions, centermarks, etc.) using layers?

• Re: layers in drawings not working
          Dennis Bacon

Hi Ben,,, First of all make sure your "Color Display Mode" is not depressed. Second, make sure your Line Thickness and Line Style are set to default. I would also have my default layer set to Per Standard. That way any assigned layers (set in properties (weld symbols, text, etc)) will  automatically be assigned to the layer they belong to.

Ben D.

Dennis, thank you for your help, now it works!

Though  I have no idea why Solidworks decided to call a "By layer" option to "Default"...

One more thing:

I would also have my default layer set to Per Standard. That way any assigned layers (set in properties (weld symbols, text, etc)) will  automatically be assigned to the layer they belong to.

Would you please explain what do you mean by "default" layer? Is it the layer which is preselected before creating an entity?

Dennis Bacon

That's a good question Ben and I'm not sure how to answer but I found that my drawing templates used to open with the FORMAT layer active. Probably how I save my template. Then when I would insert notes, weld symbols, balloons, and so on, they would display in black no matter how I had them assigned in document properties and I would have to manually assign them to the layer I wanted them in (very frustrating). I found that, if the Per Standard layer was active, the colors came in as expected and annotations were assigned to the correct layers. I hope I my explanation is ok. Iv'e been up for far too long.

Ben D.

Dennis, thank you so much for your help, it is now clear. Though it is strange how Solidworks didn't describe it in the help, and how counter intuitive these settings are. I will summarize it in case somebody else also gets frustrated:

-Per stanrdard- : if preselected before item creation, this puts an item (like a "note" from your image above) to a layer that is set in the document options. Or, for example, a linear dimension is automatically placed in the layer "Dimensions". If "Dimensions" layer has color grey, and certain line thickness/type, then this layer with it's settings will be used for that dimension.

-None- : if preselected before item creation, this creates an item at no layer. It means that settings from system options are used. It means that if linear dimension is created, in WILL NOT be placed on layer "Dimensions", but it will be left at "No layer" area. This means that system options will be used - if created linear dimension is driving, then the color from [Options>System options>Colors>"Dimensions, Imported (Driving)" ] will be used for that particular dimension

FORMAT - is just a layer like any other, with it's settings.

Chris B.

Thanks Dennis, your post helped me fix a similar problem.  My dimensions were not taking on the color of the dimensions layer, although I had done all the steps above.

I had to also click the Line Color box and set that to default.  Then the dimensions took on the color of the Dimensions layer