4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 9:16 PM by Michael Dekoning

Copying EPDM Files via API...

Greg Thomson

Do the EPDM file copy commands (e.g. IEdmBatchAdd, IEdmFile5.GetFileCopy()) copy EPDM variables alongside the file?

I usually copy CAD files with properties, so then they must rehydrate the EPDM variables in the new (copied) file.  However, when I copy PDFs with EPDM variables (stored solely in the database) no EPDM variables come across.

I thought a vault to vault copy should copy variables alongside?  Am I missing something?

Greg,

• Re: Copying EPDM Files via API...
          Michael Dekoning

The properties in the copied SolidWorks file map to the EPDM variables so they get inserted into the database. As of EPDM 2015, PDF properties cannot be read or written by the system.

Madhav Joshi

Please refer the administration guide for details on what file types ( extensions) are supported for property mapping. When you copy files in PDM Vault, it is the variable mapping on the destination file data card that plays this read/write variable role. So yes while properties for SOLIDWORKS files can be read , that is not true for every file extension.

Greg Thomson

I understand EPDM doesn't share properties with PDFs, and therefore I have no extensions or variable mappings to/from PDFs.

I do however have file cards for PDFs where I associate an EPDM document type variable with the PDF, and then use the Tab Control to create various file cards for PDF documents... ECNs, ECRs, and DRAWINGs.  It all works really well, and makes the PDFs quick and easy to find with EPDM searches.  (All the consumers of our engineering data are looking for PDFs & DXFs over SolidWork's files.)

If I right click on a PDF and copy/paste it within Explorer, all the EPDM variables are copied alongside the PDF.  It's unfortunate that when I use the API I just get a raw file copy. There must be an API call somewhere to quickly copy this like Explorer.  I imagine its using the same APIs I am?

The variables are easy enough to copy with a bit more code, just wondering if there was an API call I could be using.

Greg,