7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2015 9:30 AM by Casey Gorman

MBD and configurations

Brad Whitten

Hello,

Apparently i didn't know there was a subforum for MBD..  here it goes again!

Does anyone have experience with Solidworks MBD and configurations?  Currently if you add dimxpert dimensions to a part on a default size, they are not retained when changing configuration to a very similar part but say a different length.  Does the MBD package solve this or am I missing something?

Also what other potential hurdles are there using MBD with a configuration heavy solidworks environment?

I am on SW2015 currently.

Thanks!

-Brad

• Re: MBD and configurations
          James Pare

Brad

I have had issues with configurations & MBD, sometimes I get an error "The object involved has disconnected from its clients"

When this happens you can no longer make multiple configurations in the MBD file

So far it's hit or miss when this occurs, I haven't found the trigger yet

Brad Whitten

James,

We are heavily centered around configurations, maybe an average of 20 or so per file (on our main files).  When you get this error, do you mean you cannot add configs to the solidworks sldprt file?  Or you cannot add configurations to the 3D pdf?

I was concerned that perhaps the PMI didn't get applied to all configurations, for example if you put all of your PMI on the default, would it be able to be applied to all configurations?  Also can you then go and change the PMI to be different on some configs?  Sometimes we'll have groups of configurations with say completely different hole sets.  Normally they are shown as different end views on a 2D drawing.

We will eventually evaluate this software in greater detail, but I appreciate the feedback!  We definitely can't do it if it is not configuration friendly though.

Casey Gorman

Brad,

We use configurations on several of our parts. When creating a new configuration you will need to copy the DimXpert dimensioning scheme from a configuration that has the DimXpert dimensions on it. Each configuration is dimensionally (from a DimXpert point of view) independent.

This link might help http://help.solidworks.com/2015/english/solidworks/sldworks/hidd_dve_swift_schema.htm

The only issue we have run across so far has to do with when we converted a 2014 file to a 2015 file, we lost DimXpert dimensions. There is now an SPR on this. There is a work around available.

Currently a newly acquired project is being created in MBD, but we started the MBD process in SW2014 with an add on product. In the process we have learned a lot.

James Pare

Casey

Have you had any issues with making MBD's from files that have multiple configs?

Casey Gorman

James,

No problems on multiple config's. You do have to copy the DimXpert Scheme over(in part model file) to the new configuration every time you create a different configuration.

One thing you will need to think about is whether you want your configurations to have their own 3D PDF, or to show all the configurations in a single PDF. Here we opted to show all configurations in one PDF as out configurations show basic variations of the same part (hole location/size/shape differences).

I hope this answers your question as I am not clear on what you mean by "making MBD's"

Casey

James Pare

Casey

The issue I am having is with some of the jobs with multiple configurations, the pdf files simply cannot be made

I get the following error: The object invoked has disconnected from its client

Not very multi config job does this, It seems like the bigger files

If I delete the 3D views of the 2nd config they it works

Casey Gorman

James,

One of our MBD files/PDF's has about 10 configurations and publishes fine. It is a simple part so this may not be apples to apples.

Recently I have run across the 'disconnect' notice but it was with a publishing a file that had something in the vault (EPDM) and the computer I was on did not have access to that file. Other than that I haven't run into this with SW MBD (I have seen in in Anark's software though and there the file was not accessible as well).

I am not sure when to go from here, other than to suggest some testing. Try deleted just one of the 2 config's and see what happens Then with all of the config's available again, delete the other and see if it still happens. It may just be one of the config's is causing the problem.