0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2015 12:28 PM by Jason McCrory

Setting up a motor for electrical routing

Jason McCrory

I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to pipe/tube routing, but I am only now entering the fray when it comes to electrical routing.

I'm updating our models to make use of electrical routing. Terminals & connectors seem to be fairly straight-forward (very similar to pipe & tube), but I've run into a bit of a... quandry with motors. The main drive motors we're using come shipped with a 4' long wire tail for the power and electric brake (4 wires total). These ultimately are trimmed and routed through the assembly before being terminated to a connector. The physical routing of the wires takes place in several steps throughout the assembly, by different people at each station on the line. The wires themselves get covered with split-tubing by our assemblers. All told, there are 5 or 6 assembly drawings (each representing a different phase in the build) which would include the tail in some form...

I can think of 2 ways of tackling this issue:

1. Model the motors without the tails, then do the routing further up in the assembly tree structure and exclude the routed parts from the BOM.

2. Model the main motor and create a sub-assembly with the motor and routed wire tail. Then use configurations for each step in the assembly process where the position of the wires change.

Method 2 feels like it would be more complex, but ultimately provide the most accurate and stable result. These both seem like "round-a-bout" ways to accomplish this; though, so I was wondering if anyone out there has any better suggestions.

Thanks!