9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2018 10:19 PM by Jason Kerns

Solidworks PDM Standard - what does the 10Gb database limit mean?

Gordon Rigg

We are all forced to change to Solidworks PDM Standard from Workgroup PDM.

Solidworks PDM Standard operates with a database size limit of 10Gb for its SQL express database.

Elsewhere there has been discussion about what this means. Is it a limit on vault size? nobody has provided a definite answer.

With 2 regular and one casual user our WGPDM vault has grown to 33Gb.

surely this 10Gb limit on PDM standards SQL database doesn't mean our little company has to pay ££££££ ($$$$$$) for an upgraded product compared to the standard one?

SW are saying Solidworks PDM Standard should be good for 54-10 users on one site!

It seems crazy that I see this question asked in multiple places but solidworks doesn't jump on it with a definite answer to prevent worry and an underlying build up of ill feeling...

...unless that 10Gb limit is a limit on our files, and we are all floating the wrong way in a river of excrement and SW teases us from the shore with an offer of a very expensive paddle....

• Re: Solidworks PDM Standard - what does the 10Gb database limit mean?
          Jim Sculley

Note that the 10GB limit is a SQL Server Express limitation, not a SolidWorks imposed limitation.  This is the size of the database, not the file archive.  They are two separate things. 

We have been using EPDM for several years and our database is only 1.6 GB at the moment.

The SolidWorks imposed limitations (1 workflow, 10 states, no Active Directory login support, no API) are the real problem.

Jim S.

Christian Chu

Jim Sculley wrote:

Note that the 10GB limit is a SQL Server Express limitation, not a SolidWorks imposed limitation. This is the size of the database, not the file archive. They are two separate things.

We have been using EPDM for several years and our database is only 1.6 GB at the moment.

The SolidWorks imposed limitations (1 workflow, 10 states, no Active Directory login support, no API) are the real problem.

Jim S.

Actually, for small group of engineers, all the issues you listed is ok to me except no API, its the only thing I want most

Richard Wehmeyer

The file storage mechanism in SQL is similar to hyperlink.  The files are stored on the drive outside of the database in an inconspicuous format/name/directory ect.  The records in the database simply point to the file and contain information about the file.  This is typical for most database designs.

10Gb in a database goes a long way when the database is designed well.  Each record in a database reserves the same amount of space per record regardless of the contents of that record so day-to-day operations will have a linear relationship between the size of the database and number of records.

Jason Minahan

Just to get an order of magnitude:

Can anybody chime in w/ some examples their database size vs their file # / total file size?

I'm just trying to figure out if this is a 3 year limitation or a 10 year limitation.

Jim Sculley

The database size is highly dependent on your particular setup.  The 1.6GB database I mentioned above is tracking a vault with  models and drawings for about 33,000 part numbers plus whatever else is work in progress.  If I recall correctly, the total number of files including all past versions is around 850,000.  That's about 8 years worth of work for a team that averages about 10 SOLIDWORKS users working with it daily.

My setup with respect to workflows, transitions, variables and such is probably on the simpler end compared to some people.  But I prefer to write custom add-ins to do the heavy lifting instead of trying to make a workflow jump through hoops to get something done.

Christian Chu

As other mentioned, you don't have to worry much about 10 gb limitation as it's for storing the info. text  file (you can store up to millions of file with 10 gb), not the actual SW files. what you need to pay more attention is the ram as the PDM standard limits to 1GB comparing to 2GB you have with workgroup PDM

Gordon Rigg

I find i used up all ten states because what should take only one transition, uses two...and I have these annoying states that are temporary, just to achieve a revision A-01 to B-01 and also A-01 to A-02.

Extra complication to achieve a revision scheme that was a standard format in workgroup PDM....

I do think that the team working on PDM standard simply never looked at WPDM or considered for the slightest moment that people would want to migrate data. With such limited functionality in WPDM it would surely have been simple to create a simple PDM standard setup that would just accommodate the WPDM data and reproduce similar functionality as a starting point for PMD stndard users (but for the withdrawal of API functionality, which is absolutely unforgivable from the point of view of anyone that had applied API to WPDM).

workstates.png

Nadia Shea

The limitation literally isn't affecting any one in PDM Standard. For scale/size comparison- I have seen PDM vaults that are almost a decade old, with hundreds of gigs of data that still have a SQL DB less than 10 gigs. I strongly suspect this limitation in SQL Express will not affect any PDM Standard users. By the time they get that big, they will probably need/want the additional features included in PDM Pro.

Jason Kerns

Hopefully someone finds this helpful.

With PDM Professional,

We have 4.2TB of data and our Database is 11.85GB