6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 9:08 PM by Chris B.

How to push properties from drawing data card to part data card?

Chris B.

I've seen a lot of information about how to push custom property data from a part to a drawing data card.

But how do you push data from a drawing card to a part card?  In this case, the Drawn By and Drawn Date properties, which show up automatically on the drawing's data card, we want also to show up on the part's data card (once there is a drawing made of it)

• Re: How to push properties from drawing data card to part data card?
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Chris I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can do this in SolidWorks.

In SolidWorks, drawings are considered as parents of parts and assemblies, and so can read properties from them, but cannot push properties back.

To get Drawn By and drawn date on the part, you would need to have those custom properties present in the file as well.

Hope this helps

Prasad

Brian McEwen

You might ask for more details about the HawkWare Sync Card Variable add-in. The description is unimpressive, but it seems like it should do a little more than that if they already have the core functionality you need.

Dispatch might be possible but I have not fully thought out how that would work.  I'm thinking it would easiest to run manually, which is less of a time saver, to select the files... could maybe run it automatically on part check-in if the drawing and sldprt always have the same file name.

Otherwise... custom API.

Craig Schultz

Don't think of it as drawing properties.  Drive that info from the part. 

I have it set up to populate the model going through the transition from drawings be made to drawings complete.  All variables on our drawing cards are read only except for number of sheets and the latest revision description.  Everything else is driven from the model.

Side note - I view the drawings as children of the parts/assemblies.  It's getting all the info from the parents, and they can't talk back.....

Chris B.

Thanks everyone.  The reason we want to move custom properties from Drawing data card to Part data card:

We want the option to enter revision block information directly on the drawing.

I tried doing this by defining a Title Block.  Now user can click on, and modify custom properties in the revision block.  Things like Revision Description, Approver's Initials, date etc.

However, these don't seem to get pushed back to the Part File's custom properties.  So they stay only in the drawing properties.  The drawing card gets updated, but the part file card does not.  So it looks incorrect. 

Seems like a common goal to be able to enter Revision block data onto the drawing itself.

Other than 3rd party apps, would anybody know of some work around?

Brian McEwen

Actually, the title block should work... I mean changing a sldprt property on the drawing title block should change it on the sldprt it is linked to. 

And then that would show up in the EPDM data card of both, provided both are checked-out and then SolidWorks files are saved with the changes. And I'm assuming your variable mapping is correct.   That is the way we had our drawing templates set up.

It could get weird if configurations are involved.... I think. At least double check the info you entered on the title block is not on some configuration specific properties tab. 

There are a few threads on how people do linked EPDM revision blocks.  That is another can of worms if you keep more than one row displayed.