29 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 2:25 PM by Paul Salvador

Will solidworks 2016 files work with 2015?

Jonathan Gourlie

I am considering upgrading to 2016 and to Windows 10 on just one computer in my organization to make sure there are no issues before updating the rest of our workstations.  Does anybody know if the files I save in 2016 can be opened by the people still operating with 2015?

• Re: Will solidworks 2016 files work with 2015?
          Glenn Schroeder

There was an ability to open one year newer files with sp 5 of the previous version for a year or two (but not edit them), but I haven't heard if that will work for SW2016 files.  I doubt it.  See #3 here: Frequently Asked Forum Questions

Joe Kuzich

I highly doubt it.  They are typically not backwards compatible.

Siavash Khajehhasani

Hi Janathan,

Undoubtedly, you cannot work with files in 2015 which are saved with 2016. There is no backward in SOLIDWORKS versions.

Please let me know if it answered your question.

Thanks,

- Siavash

Jody Stiles

Hi Jonathan,

A 2016 file will open in 2015 SP5 (once it's released).  2014 cannot open 2015 files due to an architectural change but other than that you can open the new version models in SP5 of the previous version since we introduced Previous Release Interoperability in 2013.  You cannot edit or add new features to the model once it's opened but you can do most everything else with it.

2013 will open in 2012 SP5

2014 will open in 2013 SP5

2015 will not open in 2014 at all

2016 will open in 2015 SP5

You can find more information here in our Help.

Jody

Ryan McVay

I have to chuckle. If I can't edit or add new features to the model, what purpose does this back porting serve? I can open the files in other CAD system or Edrawings to get the same results?

I'd like to know what we can do with the newer version file in the older system.

Alin Vargatu

Ryan McVay wrote:

I have to chuckle. If I can't edit or add new features to the model, what purpose does this back porting serve? I can open the files in other CAD system or Edrawings to get the same results?

I'd like to know what we can do with the newer version file in the older system.

Actually interoperability is is quite useful. For example a 2015 user can create an assembly using 2015 and 2016 components. Then a 2016 user can open the assembly and everything is editable.

and there are other great example of how this functionality could be useful.

Ryan McVay

Alin-

I can see how this might work but I'm still not sold. I don't think this solves the problem that people are really looking for. To me, it sounds like a sales gimmick. But first, can you clarify something for me. Are we talking about a users using 2015 SP3 or SP4 and another user using 2016 SP1 or later does this still hold true? Or is it only for SP5 to SP0/1 releases? I honestly don't know- since there has only been one version 13 to 14 that this has worked for, in the past.

Ryan

Peter De Vlieger

"Any SP for 2016 will work but only works on SP5 of the previous version"

Which means that the spiel about it being so useful only works when the receiving party does have SP5 and not just any SP5 but the previous versions SP5.

In short, they made the problem and then by undoing the problem a little bit are selling it to us as a new feature, a feature they couldn't even make work in the second year since they launched it.

In other words :

- make product

- make new version of product

- hobble new version of product so as to force people to keep buying the newest version or no longer being able to keep up with the Joneses

- then un-hobble it a tiny bit so that only previous versions owners who have the SP5 can open files made with the newest version

All users who don't have SP5 or have an older version al together, or were hoping to use it with '14 SP5, just have to deal with .step or .sat (or whatever converted files) convert them back into as dumb parts, do their bit of designing around it and send there (perfectly editable files) to the one working with the newer version.

I would love to see the stats about how much that 'functionality' is truly used and found useful. As far as I can see it's a sales gimmick and a bad one at that.

Alin Vargatu

Peter De Vlieger wrote:

As far as I can see it's a sales gimmick and a bad one at that.

I provided a few examples that show its usefulness. Do I want this functionality to be expanded? Absolutely!

Peter De Vlieger

Alin,

I know, you tried to look in the glass-is-half-full kind of way.

Nothing wrong with that.

Alin Vargatu

Not really, I agree that the glass is pretty empty, but can still satisfy someone's need for a sip of water.

I just wanted to present valid workflows for this functionality. Saying that this is a sales or marketing gimmick is not really true. It is useful.

Ryan McVay

Alin-

I am wondering if this “enhancement” was one of the enhancements that were voted on by the users. If so, then this feature is a ploy to “satisfy” the users- not to solve a real problem. I say this because, like many features put into SW, the enhancement is slapped into the software without a real review of workflows and how this new feature affects big pictures and future strategy.

In this case, we have a “feature” that everyone wanted but few, if any competitors offer. You have to ask “Why is that the case? Why hasn’t anyone done this before? And does this really do what I was ‘expecting’ it do?” I’ll leave those questions open for other users to respond.

Why is this feature needed and why is it done in the fashion that is implemented? My answer, because it is almost impossible to do! I mean, if it could be done effectively, we would simply have a “Save as” SW2015, 14 or 13 option. Why don’t we see this?  Well, because this would require the software to bear the burden of including feature checks, older code, extra code to do the checking and converting, extra Parasolid version exporting, and file restructuring, etc. to exist in the software. Your install DVD just went from 4GB to 10GB- oh crap that doesn’t fit on dvd anymore! And this would only increase every version because you are carry legacy code and export tools. This is one of the many, but a big reason, why you don’t have backward compatibility across all CAD packages and why users rely on neutral solid exports like STEP and Parasolid- outside of the kernel and 3d definition.

The SP5 version has the ability to read assembly structures, open and view the Parasolid but not modify it for all these reasons. You can open the newer version file but it is really no different than if it was a neutral based file for the person running the older version. The benefit is only for the person on the newer version of the software! What’s the difference between an SP5 user if he can’t edit or make changes to the file or a neutral or imported file? Not much. So, this feature isn’t much of a benefit for the SP5 users who is the one asking for the feature to start with! We aren’t solving the problem. We are providing something to pacify the mob. "Rome is the mob." Couldn't resist saying that. ;-) So is this a benefit or ploy- a pacifier?

If, and this is a big “IF”, DS wanted to create a tool that actually solved customer problems they need to look at the core problem. This core problem, in my opinion, is CAD is not longer a single CAD environment but a true multi-CAD environment.  These are the tools we need to have in SW. How can I work with and manage multi-CAD data in my SW files? You need to have a neutral file type in between your CAD assembly and native non-SW file! This technology exists and is used extensively. It’s called JT.  But, …gasp you SW users…your need a good PDM system to manage an environment like this.
                                              ;-)

These are my opinions and some of them might be wrong. I accept that and, please, let me know if I am totally off base or not. I want to be as educated as everyone else.

You could also say 3DXML instead of JT..but JT is an open ISO standard, whereas 3DXML is a proprietary format. Personally, I prefer open and standard!