15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 1:44 PM by James Pare

How is SWX 2016?

James Pare

I am debating on moving to 2016 but we rarely go to SP0.0 I usually wait for SP1

Anyone running with the pre release & can offer some feedback

• Re: How is SWX 2016?
          Chris Saller

I rarely have issues installing SP0, no reason to wait. Any version can have bugs.

So far so good here.

Jonathan Dry

How many people out there have installed SW2016 and 2016PDM?  I too am debating installing or waiting until SP1.  I would like to start using the new features and interface.  I would be upgrading from SW2014 and EPDM using the SolidWorks Installation Manager since it will install both SW and SWPDM.  Anyone trying this yet?

Erich Wester

I am running SW2016 sp0 using Windows 7 for a few days now. The first issue I experienced is that SW crashes when attempting to "Publish to eDrawings". Have only used 2016 sparingly since then.

James Pare

Thanks for the feedback Erich

That's a not a good sign, we make a lot of edrawings & crashing out is not good

Jonathan Dry

I don't use edrawings. I just use PDF for drawings and STEP/IGES out my files for vendors. I have been talking to support and they suggest a test installation.  I'll be trying to do that soon.  I'll set up a virtual SQL data base for SW PDM pro. Then install SW 2016 on a workstation.  Just have to find the time since this is not my real job here.  Keep the feed back coming so we can all see what is ahead.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Bob Van Dick

Erich,

I'm running Windows 7 as well.  The first time I tried to create an edrawing, I got an error something about Outlook not being my default mail program (which it was).  Then a window saying something about a compatibility issue and that Windows would fix it.  Anyhow, I tried re-publishing it and it worked fine, no more errors.  Go figure.... Maybe it's geared for Windows 10.....

Bob

Erich Wester

Hello Bob,

That's very interesting because the exact same series of events happened to me last Thursday on one of my workstations.. However, mine seemed to coincide with my download of SW 2016 service pack 0.1. Other weirdness - the service pack download for that particular workstation was 2.5 gig. On another of my workstations that also runs Windows 7 the download was 250 meg, and I did not get those other Outlook and Windows alerts. I also have a home computer running Windows 10 that I updated and also did not receive the alerts. I no longer have any crashes, but the "shaded" and "shaded with edges" views appear as blank. I've alerted my VAR and he wants to try and do a web-connect with SW corp this week. Oh boy!

Erich Wester

I want to add a bit more context to my original comment above. These actions were taken when I contacted my VAR for help. He connected remotely to my workstation so that he could experience my problem. My VAR suggested a complete clean install, so I followed his instructions completely, which included uninstalling all of the C++ distributables and the Visual Studio files. All to no avail. I could not even create a Rx problem capture without causing a complete system lockup and crash.And my VAR was also able to crash his system in the same manner. Here's to hoping his alert to corporate gets acted upon soon.

Brian Stranyak

The colors suck

Brian Stranyak

I will say however, there's a couple features which me and my colleagues really do like.

1. Threads. This used to take two sketches to complete using a helix and sweep. (makes up for colors)
                            2. Linking note numbers to a balloon.
                              Lucasz Dzwonka

I've installed Sw2016.

For now it's working fine - mostly create welding frames and pipes.

I hate new colours - too bright (especially when i have 27" IPS monitor). Even when i change color for darker or black-beta it's not good. maybe I'll get used to that... black colours looks better in other software for example Adobe Lightroom. SW Programmers go to work! and change it!

But now I still working on stable version 2014 SP5.

Next year I'll change my pc - so maybe then I'll be change to SW2016 we will see...

James Pare

Still waiting for that post that gives me that warm fuzzy feeling that 2016 is OK to use

It's very difficult to go backwards, (2015)