4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 2:21 PM by Eric Blankinship

How do I force load solidworks property settings?

Eric Blankinship

Hello,  I am currently having an issue working with SolidWorks 2012 and wondering if anyone knows a less cumbersome work around.  My company has been recently trying to switch from downloading our drawing templates from a database in .DRWDOT format to having the formats inside of the pickable templates inside solidworks when launching a new drawing.  Due to our company using some custom properties beyond normal ANSI format we have our Format ANSI-Modified2 saved and this does not automatically attach to .slddrt file format so when new drawings are created people simply open the size they want and then load then pick the ANSI-Modified2 format from the list.

This works great for the most part but there is a small glitch we are noticing when working this way.  The Detail views we have to show up as dashed lines in both the profile that it originates from and also the final location of the view.  This setting works fine when the document is loaded from .drwdot as the format and drawing template get loaded together.  The problem is even though the ANSI-Modified2 document has this setting setup correctly when a new file is launched from the pick able templates and the document format is loaded in it does not apply this particular setting.  Now once someone goes into the setting and looks as view labels detail view it will show the setting to show up as dashed line.  Once this has been viewed and exit out of the settings without changing anything it applys the proper setting to the drawing.

So to make a long story short is there a way to force scan the properties upon loading a new drawing so that will apply the settings of ANSI-Modified2 to the drawing without having to manually go into individual system settings and look at the setting for it to apply it.  My main concern is that this my be happening to multiple settings and this is the only one we've noticed it on.  Will add some pictures below to better illustrate the issue

• Re: How do I force load solidworks property settings?
          Scott Harvey

First thing.  The ANSI-Modified2 will attach to the Drawing Template (.drwdot) not the Sheet Format (.slddrt)

If that is not a typo then that's your problem.  You have ANSI-Modified2 saved out to an external file which appears you have it searchable under your file locations for Drafting Standards. 

Open up your .drwdot file

Load ANSI-Modified2 in document properties.
          Click Ok.  (Go back into document properties and verify the drafting standard is still ANSI-Modified2)
          Now save the format and overwrite your old .drwdot

Eric Blankinship

The .drwdot file is working properly.  The issue I am having is that when I save the file as an .slddrt so that I can have solidworks pick it as a template when launching a new drawing it's not working.  The .slddrt does not keep ANSI-Modified2 attached and so in order for it to work I have to save the format as a .sldstd file and then load it in when starting a new drawing.  When I save and close and open it does indeed say that it's ANSI-Modified2 but the properties don't seem to apply until I actuallly go to the property to "load it" so to speak and exit back to my drawing.  At that point the ANSI-Modfied2 setting for the detail view works.  It just doesn't make sense why I need to visually look at the setting for it to apply.

I did go in and try and resave the sheet format from the .drwdot making sure all the right settings were in place and then creating a new drawing using the .slddrt made from the original .drwdot and then applying the .sldstd file but it had the same issue occur.

Scott Harvey

Your stating "The .slddrt does not keep ANSI-Modified2 attached ".  The sheet format (.slddrt) does not hold the drafting standard the drawing template does.  The sheet format holds the title block, sheet size,.....there are videos online explaining the difference.

If you open your drawing and change the drafting standard not only do you have to save the drafting standard (for backup and loading into other documents) to your default folder you also have to save the Drawing Template with the new settings.  When you select the drafting standard ANSI-Modified2 from the pull down it is NOT loading the drafting standard under the default folder. It is loading the last configuration you had when you saved the drawing template.  If you open up a novice drawing file you won't even see the ANSI-Modified2 drafting standard.......that is unless you saved the template with that drafting standard loaded.

Open up the template (.drwdot). 
                  Load the drafting standard ANSI-Modified2
                  Click Ok.
                  Save the file as a .drwdot (Drawing Template) and rewrite it over your original file.

If you open that file up and it's still isn't changed then upload your drafting standard and sheet format.

It might be easier to name your drafting standard dog so you see it's not changing.

Eric Blankinship

Sorry for the late response.  I for the longest time couldn't figure out what you meant but I finally got it and it appears to work well.  I was changing stuff in the wrong location and I instead wanted to adjust my file location for document templates which would then allow me to have it load .drwdot files and not just .slddrt.  Also apparently I need to create a default template for new parts and assemblies but that is simple enough.  Now I have one of my companies templates as the default one with the drafting standard properly applied.  If engineers want to change out which drawing size they can switch between them easily.  This is perfect,  only thing that would make it better is if I could have all the drawing sizes set as default and have the File>new command let people choose from the start but it's a minor thing.  Thanks for your help