6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2018 11:50 AM by David Nelson

eDrawings Registration

Kenneth Barrentine

If I already have a license for Solidworks, why do I have to register eDrawings?

• Re: eDrawings Registration
          Mike Agan

More than once, also! seems like every 3 months you need to re-register.

Siavash Khajehhasani

Here is the response provided by SOLIDWORKS as: S-029876

"SolidWorks provides this software as a free tool for people who would like to be able to view SolidWorks, eDrawings and DWG/DXF files without purchasing expensive software. In exchange, SolidWorks requires that users register their copy by providing some basic information about who they are and what they are using the software for."

I hope it answered your question.

Thanks,

- Siavash

Jeff Niederman

Hi Kenneth,

If you install eDrawings from your SOLIDWORKS media or SOLIDWORKS download (from the Installation Manager), you will not be prompted to register eDrawings even once.  As you have pointed out, we do not want our customers to have to register.  The media and Installation Manager are only available to customers, so this is how we distinguish you from the non-SOLIDWORKS customer using eDrawings as a free tool only.  If you download from eDrawingsviewer.com, even as a customer, you will be prompted to register since we can't determine your status.

If you have already registered eDrawings, the code does not expire.  However, it is only valid for the current major version of eDrawings, the current machine, and the current user.  Therefore, it is possible that you could get prompted again if you change the logged in user (or the settings for that user), the major version of eDrawings (going from 2017 to 2018, for example), or significantly alter your computer.

I hope this information helps explain what happened here.

Jeff

David Nelson

Jeff Niederman wrote:

Hi Kenneth,

If you install eDrawings from your SOLIDWORKS media or SOLIDWORKS download (from the Installation Manager), you will not be prompted to register eDrawings even once. As you have pointed out, we do not want our customers to have to register. The media and Installation Manager are only available to customers, so this is how we distinguish you from the non-SOLIDWORKS customer using eDrawings as a free tool only. If you download from eDrawingsviewer.com, even as a customer, you will be prompted to register since we can't determine your status.

If you have already registered eDrawings, the code does not expire. However, it is only valid for the current major version of eDrawings, the current machine, and the current user. Therefore, it is possible that you could get prompted again if you change the logged in user (or the settings for that user), the major version of eDrawings (going from 2017 to 2018, for example), or significantly alter your computer.

I hope this information helps explain what happened here.

Jeff

Before 2017 it would ask me constantly.  But when I went to 2017 just once and it has left me alone since.  We changed how we downloaded this last year and it seems to have helped.