7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2015 4:44 PM by Steve Soliz

How to fillet this surface edge?

Jasper Pipe

Hi all,

1.jpg

I'm having trouble filleting this edge on my model. Nothing seems to happen when I select the edge on the fillet feature.

Could one of you surface pro's enlighten me on what I'm doing wrong? I've attached the model to this if you want to have a play around. Trying to get anywhere between a 2-4mm fillet around the mouth of the model.

Cheers!

• Re: How to fillet this surface edge?
          Thomas Morgan-Witts

One easy solution is to convert your surface body into a solid body and then fillet as you would normally.

Alternatively, just knit Surface-Knit-1 to Boundary-Surface8 and then the fillet tool should work normally.

Mark Biasotti

Jasper,

the problem originates back with your base boundary surface2. You are creating a de-generate vertices because your 1st and 2nd direction curves converge.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.11.11 AM.png

This is a classic mistake that users make when creating boundaries and lofts. This will not just have implications on not being able to fillet but you probably will not be able to shell this shape - which I suspect you'll want to do eventually. Also, your mid-plane (mirror)  1st direction curves end conditions are set to "None" which makes your left and right halves non-tangent. You'll want to make them Normal-to-profile like shown below:

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.17.11 AM.png

Next rollback into boundary surface and first convert curve to 3D sketch> offset entity.  Now create 2 3D sketch curves that will cap the ends like shown below making there ends normal to the X vector.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.42.32 AM.png

Now with two additional curves, add them to your boundary and then most importantly click on the option in the boundary to "Trim by direction 2":

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.44.18 AM.png

This will exclude the ends of the boundary from being built.

Now create some simple extruded surfaces that will be used for the (tangent) fill surfaces in these areas at either ends:

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.46.35 AM.png

Once you have these you can now create a Fill surface feature and make sure to make all boundaries tangent and turn off "Optimize Surface" option Optimize tries to create a coons patch surface and is to be used for only 2 and 4 directional boundaries.)

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.48.09 AM.png

Fill is a special surface feature in SW that is to be used when you have 3 or 5> sided boundary patches to create. It does not derive it's tangent normal from the surrounding surfaces like boundary or loft. Rather it averages the isoparms direction so that you can avoid a degenerate point.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.51.27 AM.png

Now you can proceed to the end of your model - make it solid and use a face to face fillet using the Choral Width option:

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.52.58 AM.png

Modified model is attached.

Mark

Steve Soliz

I got the same issue... I could spend some time on this if its important....

glucose monitor 4b-SAS1.JPG

:CHIP:2010-shelby-gt500-3.jpg?1445105608264&1445105608540

I can't see how to get this file back to you....

Steve Soliz

Or if you don't have the surface "PARAmetric", You could work backwords:

glucose monitor 4b-SAS.JPG

Steve Soliz

Using  the "surface fillet" the biggest R1.945mm. Sort of distorting the end to end feature. :Stealing some of your surface wireframe creations:

glucose monitor 4b-SAS1.JPG