5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 6:59 AM by Simon Taber

Find largest principal stress difference between two load cases.

Simon Taber

Are there any smart way to locate the node where the largest principal -stress difference occurs between two load cases.

The studies have same geometry,  mesh and different loads.

• Re: Find largest principal stress difference between two load cases.
          James Riddell

The only way I know is to set your display to show each principal stress in each load case with both max & min identified.  (RMB click on "Results" and select appropriate value under "Stress"). 

Aaron Gradeen

Hi Simon,

Sounds like a fatigue study might give you the answer that you're looking for. I would try creating a fatigue study with a loading event that is defined using "find cycle peaks" along with your two static load cases. If you set your fatigue study to compute the alternating stress based on the "Max. absolute principal (P1)", then the node with the largest amount of cumulative damage in your damage results plot should be the node which experiences the largest range of principal stress if I'm thinking about this correctly. Solidworks will actually compute the alternating stress at each node based on the difference between the the maximum absolute principle stress (P1, P2 and P3). It is misleading that the option only says "max. absolute principle (P1)". Hope this helps   Below are a couple screenshots to help illustrate my proposed solution.

Simon Taber

Thank you Aaron for a very good answer!

The result is actually for an fatigue calculation. I am going to try this first thing tomorrow and then i will discuss it with my professor, and give you an reply on his opinion.

My only concern is does this result: "node with the largest amount of cumulative damage" take account for the difference in direction of the principal stress and angle to the surface ? 

In the ideal scenario, i would like to use this to locate the node where the largest difference in size between the to studies occurs

But where it also takes account for the stress to have approximately the same direction, and is close to normal to the surface.

I know that normally this is not a concern but this is kind of a theoretic problem