3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2015 12:58 AM by Jamil Snead

Multiple select hatch boundaries

Aaron Hayden

I have to create a grid of dots and ultimately either print the grid on Mylar or have it laser etched onto some material. I created an experiment with a smaller grid where I did a cut onto a flat surface. I was able to use the solid hatch in the drawing view to fill the grid of circles created by the cut feature. I saved it as a PDF to get a vector format and then printed it on Mylar. The results were promising. Now I am scaling this idea up to full size. The problem I have run into is that system performance has significantly degraded. The first experiment had around 400 circles. While tedious, the actual process was fairly quick. Now I have in the neighborhood of 1000 circles and hatching has become a tremendously slow undertaking. I tried coloring the feature black in the model then switching the drawing view to shaded. The drawing looked how I wanted, however SW will not save the pdf file. I watched the directory and saw the pdf file get created, but then quickly disappeared. I have since learned that shaded views give you a raster image, so this really isn't an option anyway as I need a vector image.

I found this thread, but it as an old one. https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/15186?q=Hatching%20a%20feature  The threads referenced by one of the people that commented are no longer valid links.

I would like to either window select all of the circles I want to hatch or hatch based on a feature. I haven't found a way to do either.

Edit: Alternately, I could select the area where I don't want to hatch then tell SW to invert the selection, but I don't see this option anywhere as well.

Sadly, I think I could do this quickly and easily in Autocad. :-/

• Re: Multiple select hatch boundaries
          Glenn Schroeder

I rarely use them, but you might try creating a Block of your sketch and hatch, then place the block where needed instead of creating the multiple hatches.  I don't know for sure if it will work, but no one else has replied, and it's worth a shot.

Aaron Hayden

Glenn, thanks for the idea. I haven't attempted this feat with a block yet. I don't use blocks very much. I imagine this will involve clicking every location where the block is needed unless there is an array function that could be used.

For fun I tried applying the solid hatch at the sketch level in the model. When I began performance was fine. However, as I created more and more hatched circles the computer quickly slowed. I exported the sketch hatch file to pdf and the quality wasn't as nice as the pdf exported from the drawing hatch file. For whatever reason the filled in circles from the sketch hatch file attempt looked a bit like Pac-Man. Not sure why that happened.

Jamil Snead

If I understand you correctly you are filling in each circle solid black? My approach would be to save the drawing without any fills to pdf, or dxf, then open in a vector editing program such as InkScape which is free. Then in inkscape you'd be able to select all of the circles and change them all to filled at once. Then you can save back out to pdf. Or if you think it would be easy in Autocad you could do the same thing there (or in Draftsight which is free) with a dxf.

I just did a quick test and for importing circles into InkScape and I think dxf format works better than pdf.