4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 3:03 PM by Darrell Conley

Converting multiple .SWB files into Part Files (SW2015)

Darrell Conley

I have over 100 part files (pins) that I received from a supplier and need to convert them.  However the only way I have found so far is to do them one at a time.  Is there an easy way to convert multiple .swb files in SolidWorks or some sort of macro that will batch convert?

I tried to drag and drop into SolidWorks however that threw an error (didn't write down what it was) and then told me SolidWorks is now unstable.  Tried to convert again using the Macro → Run command and SolidWorks crashed. So the warning wasn't far off it was unstable after the failed attempt.

Any help with how to batch convert these .swb files into .sldprt files would be great.

Thank You.

• Re: Converting multiple .SWB files into Part Files (SW2015)
          John Stoltzfus

Would it be possible to draw one pin and insert a design table and change all the custom properties from there.....

Darrell Conley

It would be an option however I am creating a library for a custom toolbox listing.  The design table is an option however a single pin can have 70 configurations.

My biggest worry with this type of solution is with the relieved head pins.  Having diamond shaped heads with round sides on it as well having all the right numbers for the different size flats as you increase in size is critical for what we do.  Which would require me to look up the dimensions on every pin one at a time to setup the configurations.  Personally I think it would be easier to convert the files to make sure the models are 100% correct.

I am building a library for all relieved and round head pins available from one of our suppliers.

These sizes go across both 1/2" shank and 3/4" shank.  There are many configurations to be had.

John Stoltzfus

Whatever works best for you - I've done quite a few fasteners with design tables over the years and prefer to have my own library separate from the SW toolbox, had a major disaster in 2012 using the SW toolbox, never used it since, it's too easy to setup my own library -

What I would do is create one part for the different styles and even break out the different styles in different diameters, but the length isn't part of my configuration basis.  Then it makes it so simple to create a formula that includes certain dimension information within the part description, also the ability to create a simple formula for the different lengths... etc... 

Converting the files may be important in getting them correct, but that don't include all the data entry you'll have to do later on. 

Completely up to what works for you, but I'd draw one style and design table from there...

Darrell Conley

I would setup my own library however this would be a company wide setup however having a singular part with a design table would be nice to setup and I might go that route with them however at the moment we are mainly using a network based toolbox for our components including flow controls for our cylinders.

I will look at how hard the design table would be there is many variables and descriptions that would need to be put in however they would need to be put in anyways.  I will look at that option as a possibility and try one however when the pins were sent to me I received the models but I also received a Excel sheet that states sizes as well so might use that to setup the models.  The only issue I'm running into is the sheet is incomplete and also has round pins marked as relieved.

I will look into configurations and use that as a possibility.  I could setup the custom part I'm pulling into toolbox this way as well which would make it so you could use it from toolbox or the folder.

I myself am going through a toolbox issue of my own at the moment.