4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2015 3:41 PM by Gaelle Garozzo

Lids in flow and heat analysis

Gaelle Garozzo

Hello,

I need to creating a simulation in solidworks flow with both flow and heat transfer. I created lids to define the fluid domain however I do not want them to be part of the thermal analysis since they are not real parts of the assembly. Is there a way to exclude these lids?

Thanks in advance

• Re: Lids in flow and heat analysis
          Adam McNicholls

In SW2013 with Flowsim 2013 it is done like this:

Top toolbar > Flow Simulation > Component control

Un-tick the boxes in each row of your lid parts. (These should be called LID1-1 LID2-1.... etc... )

They should then be omitted from the study.

Gaelle Garozzo

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the response. I tried to do that but when I un-tick the lids, it seems that the geometry created by the lids unresolves and that the bondary condition that was on the surface of the lid is deactivated.

Is there a way to prevent that?

Thanks

Adam McNicholls

Hi Gaelle,

Without looking at your project, I am only guessing. It is probably best not to use lids to define the fluid domain.

Could you instead create a new configuration of the part containing the holes, and suppress your hole features?

Unless you specifically need a fluid to flow through the holes that would work. However, If you need the fluid to flow through those holes why create a fluid boundary there?

Adam

Gaelle Garozzo

Hi Adam,

I have those lids to define the domain of the fluid and the fluid is flowing through those holes. I actually found a way to suppress the lids from the heat analysis by defining its material as an insulator. I used to use another program before for CFD simulation and you could apply the boundary condition directly to the fluid once the fluid domain was created but I don't think there is a way to do that with Solidworks. Or is there?

Thank you very much for all your help, it is much appreciated!

Gaelle