3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 4:05 AM by Mikael Martinsson

Non Linear Simulation Assembly Failure

Steven Brooker

Hi All,

I have been trying for hours to get a defined simulation assembly to process and keep getting an error.  At present i have a plastic cover supported on two runners of steel to which i have put fixed.  i am placing a defined load on top of the cover to which i want to see how much the cover will deflect.  If possible, can anyone please look at my file attached and give me some advice on why it is not processing.

Many Thanks in Advance

• Re: Non Linear Simulation Assembly Failure
          Mikael Martinsson

In the current setup, the Cover part is free to move in X and Z direction, so you need to add fixtures or springs to prevent RBM in those directions.

Steven Brooker

Many thanks for your reply.  As i have setup a no penetration contact, surely does this not then allow the cover to flex but still not interfere or pass through the steel supports.  would it be possible fro you to demo or show show your suggestion on my file please and re-upload so i can see.

Thanks

Mikael Martinsson

The "no penetration" contact prevents the cover to interfer with the supports. But only in the Y-direction and in combination with the downward force. However you also need to secure the Cover part from sliding in the X and Z direction. This can be done in several ways, but the important thing is that the restraint you add must have minimal effect on the final results.

I would add restraints in 3 Points, see Picture below. 2 Points restraints movement in the Z-direction and also prevents rotation around Y. 1 Point restrain movement in the X direction.

Screen.PNG

Unfortunately I can't run a non-linear simulation, but when I do it in a linear static simulation the resultant forces in these 3 Points are almost 0 = minimal interference on final results.

Screen2.PNG