3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 9:24 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Lofted Cut Error

J. S.

Hi I am trying to make a lofted cut guided by a spline.  It is on the slope of a design i am making, but every time I try to do the lofted cut, the paths crisscross.  I don't see the little green spheres that you can usually use to straighten out a lofted cut.  I was hoping there was another way to solve this problem.  I keep getting an error that reads:

"At least two profiles (faces/sketches/curves/edges) are required to make an open loft.  Three are required to make a closed loft. To create a solid body these profiles must all be closed.  Profiles cannot contain multiple contours."

I am trying to connect two half circles with a lofted cut.  It should almost look like a half pipe.  I tried using the revolved cut feature, but it does not work very well because I want the end of the half pipe to be smaller than the beginning, and I need the cut to go down in a semi-u like shape, almost like a trough, or the bottom of a wave. 

• Re: Lofted Cut Error
          Jamil Snead

Just to clarify, do you have a solid body already that you are trying to cut material away from? The first thing I'd check is to make sure your profile sketches are closed contours. Don't just draw the semi-circles, but also draw line across the ends to close the profile. If that doesn't work then it would help if you show a screenshot or attach the file.

• Re: Lofted Cut Error
            Glenn Schroeder

I'm confused (don't worry, I'm used to it).  You talk about a lofted cut in the discussion title and in most of your post, but in the second paragraph of your original post you quoted the error message: "At least two profiles (faces/sketches/curves/edges) are required to make an open loft.  Three are required to make a closed loft. To create a solid body these profiles must all be closed.  Profiles cannot contain multiple contours.".  That sounds like a message you'd get when attempting a Lofted Boss/Base, not a Lofted Cut.