16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2015 5:28 PM by Adrian Velazquez

SW on iPad PRO?

Peter Cohen

Hello, how likely will there be a version of SW that will run on the new iPad PRO?

• Re: SW on iPad PRO?
          Dave Laban

None, it's still iOS.  More chance of getting it on a Mac running OSX but even that seems pretty unlikely.

If you want a tablet with a removable keyboard, there's a whole host of Windows options including the MS Surface which there are numerous reports of successful installs.  I suspect there'll be a Surface 4 coming soon so keep an eye out for that.

Francesco Oorthuizen

The only way to run Solidworks on an Ipad pro is if you use a Nvidia GRid.

3D Photo Simulation and Virtual Prototypes | NVIDIA

How it works. You have a server which is running Solidworks and its streaming it to your ipad through the browser/citrix

The problem is that a grid is expense and is a replacement for at least 8 desktop systems. If you have allot of users then maybe it can be a Solution.

We have a grid for 16 users and use it for our training.

This solution is only technical possible for you and probably not practical.

With kind regards

Francesco

Mark Biasotti

If SolidWorks (current) or SWID (the 3D experience product) migrate to a pure cloud product, then iPad Pro might have a chance of running CAD.  SWID would especially be killer since you can free-hand sketch curves currently with this product - but only on a Wacom Cintiq hooked to a Windows7 or 8 PC.

I'm super excited about this product especially with the new Apple Pencil. 

Now I just need to talk my wife into leaving this under the tree EOY...

Mark

Peter Cohen

It seems that AutoCAD has a version which could run on the iPad PRO nativelye. How likely will SW make an iPad PRO version of SW?

I am considering to get the Surface Pro 4. I wonder if it is good enough to handle simple 3D objects.

Alin Vargatu

Mark Biasotti wrote:

SWID would especially be killer since you can free-hand sketch curves currently with this product - but only on a Wacom Cintiq hooked to a Windows7 or 8 PC.

I'm super excited about this product especially with the new Apple Pencil. 

Now I just need to talk my wife into leaving this under the tree EOY...

Mark

Mark, I am already using my iPad as a tablet with SW Industrial Designer, using Doceri as the link between the iPad and my workstation.

Works like a charm!!!

Adrian Velazquez

There are many options to get SW on your iPAD or any other Tablet really. They will just be remote session of a windows system though. So productivity will be non, since SW is not design to work without Mouse+Keyboard.

Edit:

Just found this:

Citrix X1 Mouse with an iPad - YouTube

looks very promising, but you'll still need a Windows Machine to remote to.

Ryan McVay

You can also look at running SW in Fra.me That way you are running on the cloud through a browser...latency will be main problem there..and you have to have Wi-Fi.

Alin Vargatu

Peter Cohen wrote:

Hello, how likely will there be a version of SW that will run on the new iPad PRO?

I believe it is extremely likely to be able to do that very soon.

Ryan McVay

If you mean "SW" as the SW of the 3DEXPERIENCE, that is all cloud based then maybe...but not what we all have come to understand as "SW" as the desktop tool that runs on dedicated workstations. ;-)

Alin Vargatu

Ryan McVay wrote:

If you mean "SW" as the SW of the 3DEXPERIENCE, that is all cloud based then maybe...but not what we all have come to understand as "SW" as the desktop tool that runs on dedicated workstations. ;-)

That is not what I mean. I believe it is time for SW desktop to be accessible on any platform and any device. It is just a wish now, but I hope it will become reality sooner rather than later.

Ryan McVay

OK...so maybe you are talking about running in the "cloud" using something like Fra.me. That I can see.

Or

Yesterday, I was testing running SW 2015 on and Boxx XDI V4 from Minneapolis to Austin, TX (basically private cloud). I was surprised at how blazing fast the system worked! Pretty much faster than my HP workstation/laptop!

Adrian Velazquez

Yep, a guess the key term is "Accessible"... well people have been able to access SW on any device for a few years now... but I guess that's no what really people are asking for. FRA.ME is just another solution like Nvidia GRID VCA or any other remote Desktop Solution, yes it's becoming  more mainstream and easier to deploy... but I honestly don't see anything exciting about doing what I was doing 3 years ago.

What I'm trying to say is that Running remotely and running on the cloud are not the same, but the takeaway is... do I care if SW runs on the Cluod?... No, beacuse I can already remote to it from any machine, like my wive's 4 year-old Macbook Air