Kreg Tool Company manufactures a wide variety of tools, accessories, and equipment for woodworkers and do-it-yourselfers. In addition to their well-known Kreg Jig® pocket-hole jigs, Kreg also manufactures Precision Routing Systems, Precision Machine Accessories, Cutting and Measuring Tools, Clamping Tools, Deck Jigs, and more. Kreg is a tool manufacturing company headquartered in Huxley, Iowa. Kreg products are available throughout North America and in select international locations through local dealers and online retailers. For more information about Kreg Tool Company, visit kregtool.com.
You will be a member of a collaborative team that defines and develops from concept through production working with a cross functional Product Development team and overseas partners. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, strong mechanical engineering technical background with proven experience in consumer tool design, development and manufacturing.
- Responsible for the design of consumer hand and power tools
- Develops concepts, design drawings, prototypes, material specifications and testing methods
- Controls product family designs and achieves resolution of design issues
- Reviews existing products and recommends design improvements to achieve, including but not limited to, simplified designs and reduced manufacturing lead times and cost, as well as to meet customer requirements
- Researches and develops new products to meet market needs
- Works with Product Managers to develop specifications and creates design concepts
- Leads design reviews
- Supports manufacturing during product production
- Ensures product meets the Marketing feature requirements and Industrial Design goals
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Education and/or Experience:
- BA degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field or 5-10 years related experience required
- 3-7+ years experience in consumer product design with plastic part design required
- Experience in consumer tool designs and woodworking preferred
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Produces viable concept ideas during ideation sessions
- Excellence in Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance
- Excellence in 3D CAD design with strong preference towards Solidworks
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills and ability to use statistical tools and techniques
- Flexibility and comfort working in a quickly changing environment
- Experience in high volume manufacturing with casting, plastics, sheet metal design, etc.
- Superior communication skills, strong use of internal communication tools
- Experience with processes and facets of Industrial Design including materials, finishes, shapes, etc.
- Experience in Human Factors and Quality is a plus
- Advanced knowledge/experience in a lean manufacturing environment.
- Requires self-directedness, able and willing to prioritize and take initiative.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- This position requires considerable interaction and proactive involvement with all levels in other departments
- Ability to lead / manage people and mentor team members effectively