5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 11:48 AM by John Stoltzfus

I need to create a spiral chute

Paul Del Net

I have created a model of what the part should be like, but I am having trouble creating the sheet metal parts that make this up.

I have tried a couple of methods, the attached file is using a sweep of a 3D sketch.

This part due to its size will probably need to be made up of several pieces.

Its converting this solid into sheet metal that I can't do. I imagine the side rails will be separate sheets as well.

I may be going about this all wrong...I have attached the Model as well for those who may want to check it out

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Re: I need to create a spiral chute
          Dennis Bacon

Hi Paul,, This part cannot be converted to sheet metal using "Insert Bends" or "Convert to Sheet Metal". I used your model edges to come up with 6 individual 3d sketches then did "Lofted-Bends" in order to come up with something I think you can use. There are now 3 lofted bends in your model and you can flatten each one individually. Select each one in the graphics area (or in the Cut List) then click on flatten from the sheet metal tool bar. By using configurations you should be able to split the individual parts up to a suitable size. Of course your part is still in the model, but hidden, so you can see that everything matches up.

Paul Del Net

Thanks for the speedy reply and the modeling,

so it is because it was a swept profile along a path from a 3D sketch that wouldn't allow the conversion?

Dennis Bacon

Yes, I believe so. I have never been able to get SW to recognize (as sheet metal) anything that twists along a path. I suppose it would be possible to use "Flatten Surfaces" (I don't have that capability with 2015 Professional) but you would have a heck of a time trying to form this.

John,, Swept Flange was my first thought and I gave it a shot. If you were able to come up with something please let me know.

John Stoltzfus

A bit busy right now but if this part can be done in three pcs, the development is fairly easy with the lofted sheet metal.  On the flat pc you need inside and outside helix, which need to be converted to two 3D sketches, then do a loft from one sketch to the other.  The development of the vertical flanges would be done the same way, this will give you a true representation of the the flat development..  However if this pc is supposed to be made from one pc of sheet metal, then you need to use the Swept Flange feature, but I would question the flat pattern.....

John Stoltzfus

Did you try the Swept Flange feature in sheet metal?