5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2015 11:15 AM by J. Mather

factor of safety

Daan Haeyen

Hi, i don't understand one of the two options for a factor of safety plot. When you choose "areas below factor of safety", you see in red where the model is in danger. This is clear.

FOS2.JPG

But when I use the option "factor of safety distribution" I get an almost totally red picture, with a scale I don't understand. What am I seeing here? Why is the whole model red?

FOS1.JPG

It would be great if anyone could shed some light on this, thanks!

Daan

• Re: factor of safety
          Jaja Jojo

The factor of safety distribution shows the FOS concentration so with the case of your model study those red ones has a lower FOS compared to the yellow and green color.

SO basically the factor of safety plot show the area where the material will fail which has an FOS < 1 while the FOS Distribution show the FOS of all area of the model. 

Daan Haeyen

OK, I think I begin to understand. So red doesn't mean that it will fail, but rather that the FOS is lower then elsewhere. But it seems that there is no relation to the first and the second plot. I would expect region that fail to be another color then regions that don't.

And why is the FOS distribution the default option?

Thanks, Daan

J. Mather

On your second image - set the color bar range from 0-15.

Why SolidWorks shows anything above say 15 is beyond me.  If it is beyond 15 it is not likely relevant even if you don't have your analysis set up exactly right.

Having said that, something doesn't look right at all in your part image.

Can you attach the *.sldprt file here?

Daan Haeyen

Hi, here is a FOS distribution image from 0 to 15. You can download the part and result files here.
                      FOS3.JPG

Thanks, Daan

J. Mather

I don't go to third party sites to download files.

Will those holes be threaded holes or clearance holes for fasteners?

I would expect they will be clearance holes and if that is the case I would split the face where the clamping faces of the fasteners will be and apply fixed constraints there on the circular planar faces,  rather than on the cylindrical hole faces.

I think you can clearly see where the 0-15 distribution is much more logical and informative where the default is neither logical or informative.