19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 6:38 AM by John Stoltzfus

Parts Templates

Jorge Ramos

This is the scenario, I have a OLD part and I will like to open that OLD part under a new part template. Which its edited and populated to fit my needs.

• Re: Parts Templates
          Deepak Gupta

Save the standard file to a known location from new template/file. Then open the old part and change the standard (found under Tools > Options > Document Property)

Erkul Kurulay

Have you tried doing the following ? :

Create a new blank/empty part with your new template.

On the main menu go to Insert -> Part.

Select the old part and choose the option "Break Link to Original Part"

Click OK to apply.

John Stoltzfus

Jorge

What information are you changing or adding - Custom Properties???  or Environment etc???

Jorge Ramos

SUMMARY.jpg

The information that I'm concerned is in the Summary information. There a total of 10 lines and I'm looking to eliminate steps in order to be more effective in my time management on editing parts.

Left is the one that is already edited template, Right is the Old template.

John Stoltzfus

Ok - One Way -Which is fairly easy, however you will need to setup a Custom Property Tab Builder file - are you familiar with Tab Builder?? 

Second option would be to use SolidWorks Task Scheduler and "Update Custom Properties" - this you can only use for blanket information, not individual part info...

Jorge Ramos

Not familiar with Custom Property Tab Builder, but I'm a fast learner. Is there a video or a forum that I could read or view, That you could recommend. 

John Stoltzfus

Go to Start/All Programs/SolidWorks2015/SolidWorks Tools/Property Tab Builder 2015 - There should be You Tube vids available for this feature - The person that helped me a lot from the forum was John George do a search for him.  Attached is one of my Tab Builder Files that I use here, however not all that information gets linked to the drawings, I use it to generate other reports that I need...

One file is for an assembly and the other one I use for parts.

When you are in the parts or assembly file go to -

Click on the lower righthand button to change a Custom Property File

That is where you can set one up and then pick out which custom property file you want to use, you can have one for every work order if you want

Open up the Custom Property Tab Builder and try some edits.  Whatever field you have in the Property Tab Builder and you need the same info in the drawing, when in the drawing template type in your -  $PRPSHEET:"Description" etc.  that info gets pulled from the Tab Builder, then it's very easy to change out information.

One word of caution, every property in the tab builder must be in the "Show on Custom Tab", If you choose the "Show on Configuration Tab", then when you use the Task Scheduler to update your custom properties, it won't work, learned that one the Hard Way.... (I forgot to add the following picture)

Edited 9-9-2015

Let me know how you make out.