46 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 8:27 PM by Don Van Zile

Wow - I forgot the pains of Pro/E

Have been using SolidWorks for two years now, and prior to that I used Pro/E for eight years. I've recently started moonlighting and have been forced to use Pro/E again in order to maintain compatibility for a companie's files. I am surprised at how much longer it takes to do the easiest of tasks in Pro/E in comparision to SolidWorks. Simple things such as entering a sketch, in Pro/E you must click to define a sketch plane, then click the sketch plane, then click on planes or edges in the sketch to declare them as references, all before you can even start sketching. Things like helical threads have so many more steps as well, even a simple extrude is cumbersome. The "dashboard" feature that was added in WildFire versions of Pro/E was supposed to decrease the number of mouse clicks, well I remember at the time when it was released that it was cumbersome and that the old school method was quicker.... well I still think it sucks.

Sure, Pro/E can do a few more things that SolidWorks can't do as well. But that's maybe 1% of the time. The rest of the time, SolidWorks is so much faster, and has more capabilities. Even things like dynamic dragging of parts in an assembly on the fly is something PTC has yet to incorporate. As much as I loved using Pro/E software in all those years, I have to say the last two years of using SolidWorks has been much more enjoyable. And I'm also looking forward to SW2008, the CAD software just amazes me as each year they seem to add significant enhancements to the software.

Sure, many of you moan and gripe about SW from time to time, but in the grand scheme of things I have to say that SW really has it nailed down. I've also been a user of Inventor and SolidEdge, and they pale in comparision as well. Just my 2 cents, but thought I would share my thoughts for anyone out there trying to decide on a CAD platform.
        • Wow - I forgot the pains of Pro/E
          John Lhuillier
          You should to try and go from SW to UG and add external references (or try). You have to create reference geometry from part A in part B to put feature relations in. And then make sure you don't mate to certain parts of those two features or you end up with circular references and
            Eddie Cyganik
            Scott,
            I can remember!
            => Bravo3 (Schlumberger) - 4 Yrs
            => ProE - 10 Yrs
            => UG 3 Yrs
            = >SolidWorks - 9plus yrs

All I can say about ProE is:
            Done
            Done
            Done-Return
            Done-Select
            Done-Return
            Done
            Done
            Done

Larry Kutcher
                Eddie,
                So...ProE is a no go in your book?

I just interviewed at a place where its "THE" software of choice.

Having about 11 years with SW and 5 or so with Autocad...I'm somehow rethinking their offer...~~?

Its a great field, but being creative in it using a "new to me" package, may not be a good combo...?

Steve Calvert
                    I would much rather go back to UG over Pro/E anytime but I simply love SW. Sure it has some problems from time to time but when it does fail I can fix it without any concerns. SW is just better.

Steve
                      Eddie Cyganik

Larry,

I used Pro/E from 1989 - 1998 and I personally love the program.

The only drawback that I'd mention is Pro/E's lack of being intuitive, at least this is what I found. Those who used the software every day were fine but those who had gone days or weeks w/o touching the software were lost when they came back to it.
                          Larry Kutcher

Eddie Cyganik wrote:

Larry,
                          I used Pro/E from 1989 - 1998 and I personally love the program.

The only drawback that I'd mention is Pro/E's lack of being intuitive, at least this is what I found. Those who used the software every day were fine but those who had gone days or weeks w/o touching the software were lost when they came back to it.

Well Eddie...I may need your contact info for some tech questions if I could...

I just accepted "that job" were Pro-E is it...
                          I start in a few weeks.

They've already stated that as soon as I come aboard I'll be off for a week of training. They also stated that when I come back -"I'll still be hitting my head against the wall trying to figure things out"...!?

Boy...Somehow I don't look forward to all the concussions...

~~
                          John Burrill
                          Larry,
                          I'd give serious weight to an offer to learn Pro-E, even if you like Solidworks better in the end , just being able to work with Pro-E people is an enormous leg-up.
                        Chad Schmidt
                        Although I've never used ProE, I do understand the pains you describe. I came from 6 yrs of Inventor and I feel sorry for the users of that product. You don't realize how broken another 3D platform is until use Solidworks.
                            Christopher Thompson
                            I use SW Office Premium 2007 (Win XP x64), and it has performed well other than a few minor issues. I prefer Pro-E's ' intent manager' for sketches over SolidWork's ' fully defined sketch'. Sketching seems easier in Pro-E WF 2.0 than SW 2007. I hope to see improvement in this area in the release of SW 2009.

I will probably wait until SW 2009 SP 3.0 before making the switch on my 64-bit system from SW 2007. I agree Pro-E has too many mouse clicks. However, I recently saw a demo of Pro-E Wildfire 4.0 and was very impressed. Pro-E WF 4.0 now has a feature recognition tool (similar to FeatureWorks) which did not leave the sketches undefined and unconstrained. It does not recognize as many features as FeatureWorks, but I am sure that will change in the next release. Overall, I still like Pro-E almost as much as SW as I used Pro-E for several years before learning SW.

SW is only missing a few items found in Pro-E, which I do not use that frequently (curve driven equations, trajpar: variable section sweep sketch, etc). I find when using surfacing in SW, it is easy to hide solid body. This can be done in Pro-E as well, but is not intuitive.

I will continue to use both SolidWorks & Pro-E as long as I have clients that require this service. Both SW & Pro-E serve me well in my business, and I would need more high paying SW clients before I could drop Pro-E completely as I do not like paying maintainance for multiple CAD platforms.
                            Heather Nelson
                            Eddie- That's what a mapkey is for

Pro/E handles large assemblies better, has a much better drawing package, and works with configurations much better. I've also used Ideas, Autocad, and Inventor. Between Inventor and Solidworks it's six of one, half a dozen of another and Solidworks had a head start. I stopped contracting a couple of years ago but in my area Pro/E was always paid the highest.
                                Eddie Cyganik

Heather,

Yes, I remember mapkeys, very powerful. The only problem as I recall was the there were so many differnt scenarios to cover, that multiple mapkeys would have been required and then you had to remember which one to use.

Speaking of mapkeys, Solidworks should look into incorporating Pro/E's capability where multiple keys could be employed, for instance, to toggle off Planes, Axes & Origins, you could key in: "PAO". The big issue here is that you're not restricted and a 3 or 4 character mapkey could stand for something, therefore easier to remember.
                                    Christopher Thompson
                                    Heather,

What is your email? You can email me by clicking this link to my website. I may need to ask you a Pro-E question sometime. I know my website has not been updated to include SolidWorks, and I need to update it when I have the time (currently a low priority in regards to current projects).

I would also be interested in knowing which companies in your area use Pro-E. In my geographical region, SW seems to be more popular with small businesses, and Pro-E is mainly present in the larger companies, or design firms. Very few independent contractors use Pro-E locally other than myself.

Regards,

Chris Thompson

SW Office Premium 2007
                                    Pro-E Wildfire 2.0 & 3.0
                                  Larry Kutcher
                                  Eddie and or Heather,

On the 22nd I start...with Pro E...)

Do you two recommend any sites/ forums like this one -that are as useful?

Any words of wisdom before I take the plunge...?~!

Thanks!
                                    Larry Kutcher
                                    John,
                                    I agree.
                                    Any training that a company is willing to invest in "me" as well as them, is worth it.

I'm in a crazy way, actually looking forward to the experience.

ProE has always been that "standard" by which all others are measured for sooooo long.

And for them to be commanding soooo much $$$ per seat...."And still getting it".....Thats gotta' say something...

Kevin Quigley
                                      Don't worry Larry. When Dassault buy PTC you'll be back using SolidWorks again
                                          Philippe Keirse
                                          I used OneSpace Designer 12 years
                                          Pro/E 3 years and SW 3 years.

I love OneSpace for assembly modeling -> never problems with references.
                                          I hate it for changing complex shapes and surfacing -> not possible

I love Pro/e for surfacing and complex shapes -> very powerfull
                                          I hate it for sketching and making references

I love Sw for sketching and creating parts, sheet metal and drawings.
                                          I'am not so happy with assembliy modeling -> sometime to difficult to make the best references.
                                              Mike Ramsey
                                              I just switched jobs to a CoCreate environment. Talk about the most backwards thing I've ever used in my life.

Philippe Keirse
                                                  I feel your pain, Mike.
                                                  but don't worry,
                                                  one's you get the way to work in your fingers you will love it.
                                                  OneSpace is good software for mechanical design of machines and so on.

We switched from Onespace to Pro/E due to the need to modeling complex shapes, but Pro/E was to difficult to learn for people who did only mechanical design.
                                                  After that we switched again for Pro/E to SolidWorks.
                                                  The company don't want to have 2 software packages next to each other.

Now everybody is more or less happy I think.
                                                      Mike Ramsey
                                                      I think we are actually going to switch to solidworks in the not too distant future. The main reason is for using cosmos but also after PTC bought CoCreate we're concerned it's going to go away in the not too distant future.
                                                          Anthony Coombes
                                                          Just switched companies from one that uses SW (been using SW for 6yrs) to one using Catia and am finding the transition a little bumpy. Admittedly, we are only on V5R14, but the work flow in SW is much better than Catia. Catia can do more, functional bodies (sheet metal & plastic mouldings) advanced drafting etc... but for £16K (that's pounds not dollars) for a single seat I would hope so!!! Yes, we all have our gripes about SW, things that we would like changed & improved, but I think SW is a great product at a very good price.
                                                  Larry Kutcher
                                                  Kevin....
                                                  http://cadinsider.typepad.com/...rprise--pt.html

"And already, I can see the competitions sales teams licking their lips. Predators will exploit any weakness. This is a fat zebra with a broken leg."
                                                    Larry Kutcher
                                                    So for all those using ProE...Does it crash...[ Allot, hardly ever, more stable than a Brick...house....]

Jeesh'...Like Anthony states. For the amount of $$ being shelled out you'd think that it'd be just about be the safest code going...?

Jody Stiles
                                                      I d-loaded WF4 this weekend thinking I'd brush off the dust I've accumulated over the past 15 months and WOW!! I hate it now. It has got to be the most labor intensive program ever. I know when I was using it, I could whip thru everything I needed to do but never did I realize just how many mouse clicks everything took.

Pro/E is good in that it seems to have much less random (read "non-repeatable") bugs than SW does but man! what a pain it is to use compared to SW.

Now if SW could just get a better Pattern Table function similar to what Pro/E has, I'd be a happy boy.
                                                        Larry Kutcher
                                                        Thanks for the links Chris!

New job starts this coming Monday...

Not sure when I will get sent out for training...But soon I suppose.

-Larry

Paul Hickman
                                                            I did a similar thing 2 years ago, except I was going from SW 2006 to Wildfire 1! My god what a pain the ass WF1 is... so needlessly complex and unfriendly. I dispair sometimes and wonder how PTC actually make a living selling this junk.

However, it looks like I've finally managed to get the company to see sense and switch to SW. We had a demo of WF 4 but everyone else here looked at it and though, 'So what's new again?'. I'm looking forward to getting some freedom back - now I can actually do some designing!
                                                            Mahir Abrahim
                                                            Setup your mapkeys early. It'll save you a lot of click headaches. I haven't used ProE in a while, but if you like I can send you my config.pro.
                                                            • Re: Wow - I forgot the pains of Pro/E
                                                              Bernie Daraz

Definately add a week of extra mouse clicks to every year of working with Pro-E!

So glad to be using SW!

• Re: Wow - I forgot the pains of Pro/E
                                                                Andy Tovey

I have been using ProE since98 (ProE ver19) and it is much better but does not compete with SW in regards to ease of use or being much more intuitive.

The one item that I have noticed that ProE is superior is the speed. SW is a resource hog and doesn't hold a candle to ProE once you open a large assembly. Any time saved needing less clicks is lost when when you are in a large assembly. Even when using lightweight components.

This would be my only suggestion to SW. Other than that I have no complaints and I'm happy to have the choice of which software I use which is SW.