11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2019 4:58 AM by Nick Birkett-Smith

Design Table (MS Excel) column's resizing when it first opens 

Thomas Morness

I am operating SolidWorks 2018, with Microsoft Excel 2010.

When in a model or an assembly I select tables and LMC Design Table to select Edit Table in New Window.

This new table opens in a new Microsoft Excel Window and during this regeneration of the table it resizes or reduces the column widths which I need to prevent.

How do you prevent the Design Table (MS Excel) from reducing the column widths?

• Re: Design Table (MS Excel) column's resizing when it first opens 
          Thomas Morness

I took the following steps in both examples below.

When in the Solidworks assembly I selected tables and LMC Design Table to select Edit Table in New Window.

I wait for the excel table or sheet to open, watch as it is opening by not touching a key on the key board or the mouse, cringe when I see that the regeneration process in the excel resizing my column widths. This only occurred after we upgraded to 2018 Solidworks so that I am contributing this issue to 2018 Solidworks.

The excel sheet or table regenerated and reduced/resized the 1st column width to 6.

I selected and increased this 1st column width to 31.

I closed the excel sheet with the 1st column set to 31 column width.

I reopened the excel sheet or table and the result after the regeneration with the 1st column going back to a column width of 6.

I have no control over the regeneration of the excel sheet.

I want to control and prevent the column widths from automatically resizing or reducing itself, I want the column widths to remain where I had set them prior to closing the table or sheet.

Table after it was reopened

Please help me prevent this.

Thomas Morness

Am I the only one to experience this column resizing or shall I post it as a Solidworks 2018 bug?

Thomas Morness

Had to submit this as an enhancement request even though an earlier versions of Solidworks did not resize columns in MS excel when opening in a new window.

If there is something that you can do to help me correct this issue, please provide me with this corrective action or respond to this

enhancement request number 1-20735500032. Lets solve this for it is driving me insane - I hate having to rework issues that were not an issue prior to Solidworks 2018.

Below is the response:

Thank you for submitting this enhancement request number 1-20735500032.

Enhancement requests are carefully reviewed by members of our Product Definition team. Once it is reviewed by Product Definition, the status of the Enhancement Request will be set to “Closed” indicating that the Enhancement Request has been reviewed and the appropriate action has been taken by Product Definition. Unless the enhancement request has been addressed in a shipping version of the product, your request will be associated with a Software Performance Report (or SPR). Associating your enhancement request with an SPR allows other users to find and vote for your request through the enhancement request search. Also, SPR’s are evaluated by our development team for inclusion in a future release by taking into account such factors as the number of customer votes and the customer value of the enhancement. You can check on the status of this Enhancement Request as well as the status of any SPR’s associated to this Enhancement Request by clicking on the “My ERs (Enhancement Requests)” link in your SolidWorks Customer Portal account.

You will receive an update from a member of our team as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience as we work to address each request individually.

Thank you again for helping to improve our products.

Best Regards,

Bruce Holway

Director, Product Definition Team

Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corporation

Interested in a career at SolidWorks? Check out our job opportunities at:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/solidworks-jobs.htm

You submitted an enhancement request with following details:

ER - 1-20735500032

Summary - see below link.

Description - Product Version in Use : SW2018

Explanation : Product Version in Use : SW2018 Explanation : Saves time so we don't have to resize columns every time we load up a design table.

*** Please do not respond to this email. ***

*** Please use this ER number in any correspondence on this issue. ***

Scott Paeth

I tested this on a part with configurations.  I reproduced your results.   SW2018 sp5.0, Microsoft excel 2010.

Thomas Morness

Why is this an enhancement request and not a bug or fix issue to Solidworks 2018?

Nick Birkett-Smith

Thomas Morness wrote:

Why is this an enhancement request and not a bug or fix issue to Solidworks 2018?

Hi Thomas Morness

I work in the SOLIDWORKS Product Definition team; all enhancement requests get routed to members of our team. I've reviewed your ER and I agree that this is a bug, not an enhancement. It's not clear to me why you "Had to submit this as an enhancement request..", were you advised to do this by somebody, instead of reporting the issue to your VAR's technical support team?

Anyway, it looks to me like the bug you are describing is logged as SPR 955903, so I associated that to 1-20735500032. Apologies but I'm not able to provide any timing on a fix, if you need to escalate this further then please discuss it with your VAR.

Thomas Morness

I am sorry but I had tried to get this issue resolved through my other contacts as a bug or fix, got no result.

I had to issue this as an enhancement request which means no result or at least an extreme amount of time will be spent on an Infuriating issue within the product I am using.

Is there someone at Solidworks who could answer and resolve this issue on a more timely basis?

Or come out and tell us this issue is not able to be resolved within the current 2018 version of Solidworks.

Is this issue still an issue in the next version 2019 +?