44 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2019 5:27 PM by Eric Beatty

Goodbye Solidworks World

Dwight Livingston

Goodbye Solidworks World

No more Solidworks World for Solidworks users. This week in Dallas, at the last Solidworks World, I got my backpack at the Partner Pavilion and, as you can see, next year there will be instead a "3DExperience World".

I can see why they didn't hand them out at registration. It would have been confusing.

You might think this is some sort of rebranding. At past conventions I got the idea that's what it was, just a different name for the same thing. This year Dassault made their vision clear to me, or at least I think I am finally getting it. It's not a new name for the same thing. It's a different program. They do not plan to make xDesign as capable as Solidworks. It's something else, on a different platform. No threat to Solidworks, except the loss of a convention.

At lunch on day 3, Aaron Kelly, Product Management and Marketing Executive, very nicely stopped by our table and we talked about the whole thing. I appreciate the effort to connect, but I am not pleased with his message. When I said I wondered if there would be fewer people going to the convention next year, he said he thought there would be more people, and they'd be different people.

Different people? Oh, I see. It's not about me anymore.

He doesn't mean that Solidworks will be excluded. We are still invited to the party. They will have a room for us in the basement. That's pretty much how it was this year. Top ten ideas were presented in the convention basement.

Gian Paolo Bassi loves my passion. I am pretty sure he says that every convention. But my passion is Solidworks, not 3DExperience.

What's your passion?

Dwight

• Re: Goodbye Solidworks World
          Adrian Velazquez

Yes, I had always been saying that pushing the 3DX at SolidWorks World was not ideal because of the audience...  SWW has always been about the end user, not about business, and 3DX is all about the business aspect of CAD or Data in general.

While I appreciate the fact that they are finally committing and reducing confusion, I feel like they basically stole the community from SolidWorks, they could have easily started a new smaller conference that was all about 3DX for executives, and business leaders.

Todd Blacksher

My passion is the users . . .

For me, the conference is all about networking with my peers and learning from them.

I was finally able to meet you (Dwight) at the conference, along with a TON of others that I "knew" from the forums.

Having used a plethora of other 3D CAD programs, I don't hesitate for a second to say that SOLIDWORKS is far and away my favorite.

I'm not sure what lies ahead, and Nashville will be very interesting next year.

Probably going to take a little while for everything to fully sink in for me.

"For the times they are a-changin'." - Bob Dylan

Mike Agan

Does that mean World will include Catia?

Todd Blacksher

Mike Agan wrote:

It is my assumption that 3DEW2020 will include all of Dassault Systemes offerings (which is VAST!)

I did have a Hands-On Session with xDesign, and I am impressed enough that I am planning to set aside some time to get to know it better.

Glenn Schroeder

Todd Blacksher wrote:

Mike Agan wrote:

It is my assumption that 3DEW2020 will include all of Dassault Systemes offerings (which is VAST!)

I did have a Hands-On Session with xDesign, and I am impressed enough that I am planning to set aside some time to get to know it better.

I sat in on one of those too.  There are some features in it I'm disappointed aren't in SW.

Todd Blacksher

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

I sat in on one of those too. There are some features in it I'm disappointed aren't in SW.

Here's the funny part - the first thing I thought about after the session was "I'm going to get to know this better, and I am planning to submit enhancement requests for everything that I think is cool."

(BTW - There were a lot of things that I thought were cool . . .)

Eric Beatty

I've submitted a lot of xDesign enhancement requests over the past year and seen a goodly number of them implemented. For the Milan Challenge, the Hole Wizard equivalent was still under development so I drew A LOT of circles with A LOT of equal radius constraints in those sketches. That process was tedious AF (as the kids these days say ).

Anyhow, since I knew that the Hole Wizard was a monumental undertaking to code, as an interim move, I suggested an automatic relation to add equal radius constraints when sketching circles. It made it in and now I wish it was in SolidWorks Sketcher as well.

My favorite xDesign-specific "delighter" (to borrow a SW2019 rollout phrase) is the SuperFeature. I briefly showed it in my October Virtual SWUG presentation. Here's a better video of it I made for my SWW19 presentation with Mark Rushton.

SOLIDWORKS xDesign SuperFeatures Example - YouTube

Keep an eye on the screen - the feature goes from a boss extrude to an extrude thin boss to a cut extrude thin to a cut extrude thin with a different sketch to a cut revolve to a cut sweep... It's Magic!!

John Stoltzfus

The older we get the harder it seems to accept those changes, however, "The only thing Constant is Change"  - I don't care what they decide to do with 3D or SW or 3D SW or 3W DEW - I will still be thrilled being that and having used SW... 

Newell Voss

Really disappointing that Xshape wasn't just integrated right into Solidworks. The whole thing seemed like a money grab in my opinion.

Not very impressed for my first/last SWW.

Adrian Velazquez

Yes, I can definitely see conflict of interest.

We pay subscription on all our SW Products, yet they keep announcing new product and capabilities that we don't have access too. I've also not heard of any "incentives" for those of us on subscription to adopt the 3DX Product line, everything is additional cost with overlapping functionality.

You could also say they are competing product,s since they are not truly compatible (Feature Tree)... while I'm all for innovation and overall thing the 3DX is exciting, the business model to transition SW Customers/Users is just confusing or non-existing.

Newell Voss

Well said.

I get they are a trying to cover all the bases and support their new acquisitions but it appears to force the SW user to adapt a new set of tools that could have just been features implemented in the existing interface. The entire delivery of concept seemed very unorganized. Which is evident by how they botched Wednesdays GS and half the attendees walked out after that odd shark-tank ripoff bit.

Joel Gilbert

Newell Voss wrote:

Really disappointing that Xshape wasn't just integrated right into Solidworks. The whole thing seemed like a money grab in my opinion.

Not very impressed for my first/last SWW.

The upside with xShape is also the downside: it's not based on the same platform as SW.

Benefits:

• Programmers don't have certain limitations to work around
                                  • It's simpler with fewer options so casual/new users are less likely to get confused
                                  • New features can be added real-time without having to wait for users to upgrade before getting feedback
                                  • It's not a production environment so users expect some bugs
                                  • Features that prove to be very popular may be ported into SW once UI and stability issues are tested

Downsides:

• It's not currently as robust a platform as SW so there are fewer tools and fewer possible workflows
                                  • It uses a completely different file structure/methodology so xDesign files can't be seamlessly opened in SW (yet)
                                      Newell Voss

I am for the concept of a simple modeling function that enables collaboration outside of just native SW. However, I have a feeling the downsides you mention (specifically bullet 2) was done intentionally by the Dassault staff. No reason they can't make the two work seamlessly with one another with the R&D figures presented.

It seems counter-intuitive to present such a powerful tool for modeling organic geometry on-the-fly to everyone except those who use SW  exclusively.

Who knows, maybe it was a legal issue with autodesk that prevented them from doing that since it is a clear copy-cat feature of what other softwares already offer.

Paul Wyndham

Wow, this is a great topic for discussion, but I think if I get started I won't be able to shutup.

Needless to say I am excessively disappointed that Dassault had to rip SolidWorks out of World and even out of its own name.

If xShape was included in SolidWorks along with the other features of xDesign then Dassault would not have the leverage to try and pull users way from the SolidWorks product to the Catia based tools.

As others have stated Dassault should start a different conference for 3DExperience or tack on Thursday as 3DExperience Day and let those interested stay longer.

It is going to be a long time before some companies can move to a cloud based tool for example companies with DOD contracts or those audited by the FDA and I am sure plenty of others.

Paul Wyndham

How do we go about planning a SolidWorks User convention for next year?

Tom Gagnon

SLUGME may be about as close as we get to that.

Also, I really appreciate everyone's opinion in this discussion. I've never attended (yet), so I rely on your collective observations and conjecture equally.

Edit: I did see something new today. From this forum, clicking the Technical Support link at the top of the page where the Forums drop down is, the page has a new banner which reads, "Collaborate better with clients, partners and engineering on the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform - now included with SOLIDWORKS subscription," with a Learn More link button.

To me, this at least means that, at least for now, we can explore that without additional cost.

Tony Tieuli

Tom Gagnon wrote:

SLUGME may be about as close as we get to that.

Also, I really appreciate everyone's opinion in this discussion. I've never attended (yet), so I rely on your collective observations and conjecture equally.

Edit: I did see something new today. From this forum, clicking the Technical Support link at the top of the page where the Forums drop down is, the page has a new banner which reads, "Collaborate better with clients, partners and engineering on the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform - now included with SOLIDWORKS subscription," with a Learn More link button.

To me, this at least means that, at least for now, we can explore that without additional cost.

Thanks for that Tom Gagnon, I hadn't noticed that.

Looking thru that information you see this:

It seems to me that information should alleviate some of the concerns that SWX will become completely cloud based. As you can see from the above, there will be "connectors" to the 3D Experience platform incorporated into SWX desktop.

Of course that doesn't address the issue of 3Dexperience world supplanting SWW but at least folks should be reassured that SWX desktop isn't going anywhere.

Todd Turner

Last days of Solidworks World

For 21 years Solidworks and its community of users have gathered together to talk shop, share hints, hon skills and learn whats new. As someone who grew up with Solidworks, using it first release in early 1996, I wondered about those first gatherings in Palm springs, then the growing enthusiasm of the chance to talk with the developers, other users, and grow one’s skill set. Eventually catching 17, the best I can remember, Solidworks Worlds over the years, and having the opportunity become a power user, and improve my skill in everyone I attended. This year like every had a wide selection of invaluable training sessions they call break outs. Every year without exception I have improved my skills. Over the years they have had some of the best speakers one could imagine Burt Rutan, The Woz, Richard Branson, James Cameron, Leonard Nemo, Michio Kaku ….. and several celebrities. This year we still were treated to some fine speakers and ending the Solidworks World Era was a great motivating speech by Astronaut Leland Melvin.

One might be curious end of the "Solidworks World Era", what does that mean? Well it was announced on the first day no less that 2019 is the last Solidworks World, the Next year’s event will be called 3D Experience World 2020, in Nashville. Hmmm, what is this awkwardly named event to be? What is a 3D Experience? Why do the 6million users of Solidworks care?

Well it seems to be a series of cloud-based productivity tools equally awkwardly named, one that sounds like “dumbyWorks” when said aloud, that Dassault systems seem keen on having their power Solidworks user, now forgive me because I am not sure, Maybe use? Maybe market for them? It’s really not clear, because some of those tools are less robust, less stable, and less useful modelers. Some of course would help Solidworks user, some only useful to other people in one’s organization. I suppose there is nothing wrong with that, and I suppose the Dassault Systems Solidworks growth has flatten out, and they need to branch into these cloud-based solutions that have been popping up around them (one of which by a founder of Solidworks). But one must Wonder if collection of power user of its higher end modeling software is that best audience, or maybe that is the thing. Maybe the event really has lost its original focus, maybe the better term is abandoned.

Maybe, it’s no longer an event about end users of Solidworks, but more about the VAR network, the Press, and yearly gathering DSS employees? In the end there is nothing wrong with that, it just as an end user of Solidworks who gained so much from past SolidWorks World with its user focus (must attend event), it is pretty disappointing to see that end to become a 5 day pitch of cloud based solutions. Let’s hope some value to Solidworks users remains next year, with the 3Dwhateveryoucallit World 2020. In the end I am not upset at all, just a bit disappointed and concerned.

Todd Turner

Surprised this didn't get moderated.... another similar thread was....

Alin Vargatu

Please include everything you wrote here, in the SWW survey. Tell the organizers directly how you feel about all these changes.

Dwight Livingston

Here's what I posted to John in the Dump thread:

John

The word I got from Dallas is that 3D Experience is not a replacement for Solidworks. xDesign is not planned to be as capable as Solidworks. Best I can make out, this is not a platform switch, it's a different program. I'd be fine going to a replacement, even enjoy a fresh start, but that is not the plan. Solidworks is still going to be the expert design system for expert designers. Dassault is looking for different customers.

Dwight

Steven Billeter

Another thread has been created where positive, negative, and neutral comments about SWW are being posted. You may want to repost some of your comments related to the conference to that thread so that there is a common place for feedback.

SOLIDWORKS World Discussion: Positives, negatives, suggestions, etc.

David Matula

cant wait till they start coming on here and asking how to model stuff in other programs... that should be fun...