11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2019 12:22 PM by Kevin Chandler

My Layers property box has gone missing..

Dan Fuller

I'm working on a solidrawing print and my layers property box isn't visable upon opening.  When I click on the icon I can see that it activates but the window with the layers and properties does not open on my screen. Can the window possible be minimized and stuck on the edges of my screen?

• Re: My Layers property box has gone missing..
          Fatih Mehmet Ozcan

If you have more than 1 monitor, check all displays, it might venture on itself. Sometimes it gets docked to any menu, check all tabs on command manager.

John Stoltzfus

Do you have another dialog box open, that is hidden?  Restart SW and see if that helps.

Glenn Schroeder

That layers property box is just a Toolbar.  Right-click on a blank space above the graphics area and see if it's checked.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

As Mr. Schroeder mentioned above, it's a toolbar.

But if it's not docked, as shown below, it's a window that could have gotten itself lost in the woods.

See this post: How Do I Find a Lost Dialog Box?

If you decide to run the find utility mentioned therein, remember, its input is case-sensitive. So the "L" in "Layer" must be uppercase.

Kevin

Josh Brady

I don't know what kind of stuff you guys are smoking.  It's not just a toolbar. It's a dialog.

This comes up when you click the little blue thing on the Layer toolbar that you're mentioning, but it's definitely a dialog.

And it's definitely opening off your screen.

Hit Alt, then Space, then M (you don't have to hold 'em down).  Then hit any arrow key.  The box will become attached to your mouse cursor and you can move it where you want.

John Stoltzfus

Josh Brady  wrote:

I don't know what kind of stuff you guys are smoking. It's not just a toolbar. It's a dialog.

This comes up when you click the little blue thing on the Layer toolbar that you're mentioning, but it's definitely a dialog.

Hit Alt, then Space, then M (you don't have to hold 'em down). Then hit any arrow key. The box will become attached to your mouse cursor and you can move it where you want.

Kinda what I meant -

btw - pall mall menthol

Glenn Schroeder

Josh Brady,

You're right.  I completely misunderstood.  Not smoking anything, but it's early in the morning, and I'm old.  

Kevin Chandler

Josh Brady wrote:

I don't know what kind of stuff you guys are smoking. It's not just a toolbar. It's a dialog.

Hit Alt, then Space, then M (you don't have to hold 'em down). Then hit any arrow key. The box will become attached to your mouse cursor and you can move it where you want.

I too missed "property box" in the OP, but the above method only works for the dialog with current focus.

So when you click the blue button, the dialog displays and the blue button is grayed out:

However, if you click off the Layer dialog, it no longer has the focus and the above method doesn't apply to it.

Clicking the grayed out button doesn't reapply focus to this dialog.

And since it's lost, you can't click it to re-establish the focus, so my post above still applies.

Same dialog title, too.

Kevin

Josh Brady

Kevin Chandler wrote:

I too missed "property box" in the OP, but the above method only works for the dialog with current focus.

So when you click the blue button, the dialog displays and the blue button is grayed out:

However, if you click off the Layer dialog, it no longer has the focus and the above method doesn't apply to it.

And since it's lost, you can't click it to re-establish the focus, so my post above still applies.

Same dialog title, too.

Kevin

This particular box is application modal (although not all of them are).  Just hit "esc" and it goes away, regardless of whether or not you've clicked elsewhere.  Then you can click the blue button again and use the "alt" method.  Not that your post doesn't also apply.  The "alt" method definitely won't work to find lost, un-docked toolbars though.

Kevin Chandler

Josh Brady wrote:

Kevin Chandler wrote:

Same dialog title, too.

Kevin

This particular box is application modal (although not all of them are). Just hit "esc" and it goes away, regardless of whether or not you've clicked elsewhere. Then you can click the blue button again and use the "alt" method. Not that your post doesn't also apply. The "alt" method definitely won't work to find lost, un-docked toolbars though.

Josh Brady, thank you for the new info! I hadn't noticed this behavior.

I tested this method by opening another dialog (File>Page setup) after opening the layers dialog to see if this broke things.

The first escape closed page setup and the second escape closed layers. So even opening another dialog doesn't derail this method!

Thank you again,

Kevin