10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2019 3:52 PM by Dan Pihlaja

Split BOM QTY in Balloons

Todd Mendez
      How do I take QTY of 8 screws and show the balloons with QTY 4 in one view and QTY 4 in another view. Both with same Item number?

I do know I can edit the Balloon Properties and change the lower text in the split Balloon to TEXT or custom property, but that will lose .ASM QTY associativity??

I'd like to keep the QTY active to the BOM total if possible
        • Split BOM QTY in Balloons
          Eddie Cyganik
          Todd,

Very sadly, this is not possible.

I do not know what SolidWorks was thinking when they implemented balloons but they surely were not thinking about assembly drawings.

SW & your VAR will tell you to submit an ER.

To this I say "BULL..oni", ...fix the damn software!
              Todd Mendez

Eddie Cyganik wrote:

Very sadly, this is not possible.

I do not know what SolidWorks was thinking when they implemented balloons but they surely were not thinking about assembly drawings.

To this I say "BULL..oni", ...fix the damn software!

Thanks for the input, I'll stop trying to figure out how to do it and just do a manual work around.
              Neil Saxon
              I would have liked to have seen this function by now. Also, I'd like to have the ability to modify the split line text to show the QTY followed by an "X" . It's difficult to clearly show which number is the Item # & which is QTY.
                  Dwight Livingston
                  The attached image shows how we do ballooning. When it comes to checking an assembly drawing, we spend the most time confirming item quantities. We spend that time because that is where the mistakes occur. It would be very helpful for the software to control partial quantities automatically, to make sure that all the partial quanitites add up to the total, and that any other call-outs are shown as reference.
                  Mike Anderson
                  Try right clicking on the drawing views and go to properties; check which BOM each view is pointing at. These settings if not set to point at the correct BOM can lead to some frustrating moments. It is possible to have views on the same sheet and across different sheets pointing at different BOM's.
                    Jody Stiles
                    rezzing the dead here...

This is a woefully inadequate function in SW. Pro/E does this perfectly. They have RMB options on the balloon to split the balloon up. Paraphrasing: You RMB the balloon >> choose split balloon >> choose new part to attach split balloon to. It is smart enough to only allow you to attach the split balloon to the type of part it belongs to. e.g. Splitting a balloon for your 8 screws would require you to attach the split balloon to that model screw in another location, same or separate view. IIRC if you decide to change the quantities after you split them, you have to split the balloon you want to reduce the quantity in and then attach that new split balloon to another same type part location or you can choose several split balloons of the same part and choose to merge the quantities.

I've put in at least one ER one this, it needs to be done.
                      • Re: Split BOM QTY in Balloons
                        Dave Nall

This thread is over a DECADE old and yet, SW still has not improved this.

All the requests are perfectly reasonable and simple.

1.  Ability to add "X" after the quantity without it altering the quantity value in split balloons, i.e. not using "text" hack.

2.  Ability to split quantity across multiple balloons of the same item number while still maintaining the quantity total and BOM link.

Further, I'll add it here,

3.  Split balloons should have ALL THE SAME FUNCTION (Quantity Denotation) of regular balloons such as AR, PL, etc.

4.  Split balloons have an obvious bug in how they stack with other balloons, overlapping in the vertical orientation.

I'm running 2018 and nothing has improved in this regard that I am aware of.

• Re: Split BOM QTY in Balloons
                            Matthew Lorono

Dave,

Thank you for your input.  Here's an update.

1. The ability to add quantity to balloons was added in around SW2010 or so.  It doesn't use split balloon, per se, as this is not as common of a practice as applying the quantity next to the balloon.
                            2. This is a somewhat common request.  I recommend adding a vote to Enhancement Request for submissions that meet your requirements.  This allows us to see the overall need for this sort of enhancement.

3 and 4, please vote for Enhancement Requests associated with these, via your Customer Portal.