1 2 3 4 5 193 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2019 2:26 PM by Alex Lachance Go to original post
      • 30. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
        Glenn Schroeder

Henk Bruijn De wrote:

... when you use "Copy with mates"......

After the 3 mates are copied/edited, the message in green highlight says: "Component has been placed. Press OK to place another component".

But.....what if you are finished and don't want to place another component. After all, everyone want to finish adding components after some time......

The 3 options you have are: pressing OK (green checkmark), pressing Cancel (red cross) or pressing "Undo".

All options don't make sense if you want to stop adding components.

"Component has been placed" is somewhat misleading because it is moved to it's new position, but it is not confirmed by the user yet.

Confirming by pressing OK and "placing another component" should be separated commands I think.

Ik like the "Copy with mates" command, and I'm used to it now. But it took more time than neccesary.

Another one:

If you have a fixed component (usually the first component), it has no mates, so you can't copy them.

If you try to do this anyhow, Solidworks warns you with a small message box. So far it makes sense.

After one mouseclick randomly in the graphics area, the small message box disappears, and you are trying to understand what is going on by reading carefully the instructions in "Step1: Select Component" ..............

No big deal for experienced users, but all these things together make the learning curve steeper for mates.

When you first activate the command, before clicking on the little blue arrow to move to the second page of the property manager, if you'll click where shown below to unpin the command then it will close after inserting the first instance.

• 31. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
          Tony Tieuli

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Henk Bruijn De wrote:

... when you use "Copy with mates"......

After the 3 mates are copied/edited, the message in green highlight says: "Component has been placed. Press OK to place another component".

But.....what if you are finished and don't want to place another component. After all, everyone want to finish adding components after some time......

The 3 options you have are: pressing OK (green checkmark), pressing Cancel (red cross) or pressing "Undo".

All options don't make sense if you want to stop adding components.

"Component has been placed" is somewhat misleading because it is moved to it's new position, but it is not confirmed by the user yet.

Confirming by pressing OK and "placing another component" should be separated commands I think.

Ik like the "Copy with mates" command, and I'm used to it now. But it took more time than neccesary.

Another one:

If you have a fixed component (usually the first component), it has no mates, so you can't copy them.

If you try to do this anyhow, Solidworks warns you with a small message box. So far it makes sense.

After one mouseclick randomly in the graphics area, the small message box disappears, and you are trying to understand what is going on by reading carefully the instructions in "Step1: Select Component" ..............

No big deal for experienced users, but all these things together make the learning curve steeper for mates.

When you first activate the command, before clicking on the little blue arrow to move to the second page of the property manager, if you'll click where shown below to unpin the command then it will close after inserting the first instance.

Nice catch Glenn Schroeder! I didn't notice that.

• 32. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
            Henk Bruijn De

Hi Glenn Schroeder ,

Good point:  Pinning and unpinning the "Copy with mates" menu.

However it is not neccesary to pin/unpin before you press the small blue arrow and it does not contribute to make the procedure more consistent or intuitive.

This is because if you unpin this menu, you probably have the intention that the current component will be the last one.

However if you have edited the last mate, you still get the same 3 options for clicking and the green highlighted message still does not make sense.

I like Solidworks and I don't want to be negative about it, but I think in this thread there are some examples shown which can be improved.

• 33. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
              David Matula

improvements are how we ended up with the copy mates.  Till I decided to try it I just kept dropping in the same component and mated it to the new location.  The copy with mates did make this faster one I got it figured out.  Sometimes I still forget about using it. 

• 34. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                Frederick Law

Plane offset dimension box don't accept equation:

Plane Offset 01.jpg

After pressing enter:

Plane Offset 02.jpg

I can modify it afterward in Equations.

• 35. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                  Jim Wilkinson

Frederick Law wrote:

Plane offset dimension box don't accept equation:

Plane Offset 01.jpg

After pressing enter:

Plane Offset 02.jpg

I can modify it afterward in Equations.

You are correct that this is a limitation. This help topic documents the only PropertyManagers where equations can be entered.

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Direct Input of Equations in PropertyManagers

Hopefully this functionality can be extended to more PropertyManagers in the future.

I hope this helps,

Jim

• 36. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                    Frederick Law

Someone spend time to document where it work and where it doesn't instead of make it work all over?

Don't know what to say

• 37. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                      Jim Wilkinson

Frederick Law wrote:

Someone spend time to document where it work and where it doesn't instead of make it work all over?

Don't know what to say

Because it is not a simple task to make it work everywhere. So the choice was to make it work in the most commonly used places or not at all; most users prefer the approach we have taken to have it work where they would use it most rather than not at all.

Thanks,

Jim

• 38. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                        Tony Tieuli

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Frederick Law wrote:

Don't know what to say

Because it is not a simple task to make it work everywhere. So the choice was to make it work in the most commonly used places or not at all; most users prefer the approach we have taken to have it work where they would use it most rather than not at all.

Thanks,

Jim

Like I said, diplomatic.

• 39. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                          Frederick Law

Shouldn't similar input box use same code or class?

The code is already used in Extrude and a few other places.

• 40. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                            Matt Peneguy

Congratulations on your retirement Jim!

I ran across something when I was trying to enter a value in a global variable.  I can get it to work only if I enter the value and tab out of the box, sometimes.  If I click out or try to hit "OK" it gives me an "Equation Entered is Invalid".  It doesn't matter if I click = or choose any options for units.  Once I get this error, the only way I can enter a value is cancel out and start over.

Am I doing something wrong?  Can you duplicate this behavior? (SW 2018 SP3).

• 41. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                              Frederick Law

No problem in 2018 SP4

• 42. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                                Jim Wilkinson

Matt Peneguy wrote:

I ran across something when I was trying to enter a value in a global variable. I can get it to work only if I enter the value and tab out of the box, sometimes. If I click out or try to hit "OK" it gives me an "Equation Entered is Invalid". It doesn't matter if I click = or choose any options for units. Once I get this error, the only way I can enter a value is cancel out and start over.

Am I doing something wrong? Can you duplicate this behavior? (SW 2018 SP3).

Hi Matt,

I believe this is a limitation because thickness is a reserved variable for sheet metal. I think I saw it come up fairly recently in the forum but I can't find that instance. But I did find this old one: Force "thickness" global variable on a non-sheetmetal part

Someone else more familiar with this may be able to confirm since I've only seen it on the forum. It would be nice in this case if the message were more explicit as to why the equation is invalid if it is indeed due the reserved name.

Thanks,

Jim

• 43. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                                  Kevin Chandler

Matt Peneguy wrote:

I ran across something when I was trying to enter a value in a global variable. I can get it to work only if I enter the value and tab out of the box, sometimes. If I click out or try to hit "OK" it gives me an "Equation Entered is Invalid". It doesn't matter if I click = or choose any options for units. Once I get this error, the only way I can enter a value is cancel out and start over.

Am I doing something wrong? Can you duplicate this behavior? (SW 2018 SP3).

It may be choking on the GV's name since this is used in sheet metal.

Perhaps it's reserved inside SW.

• 44. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                                    Jim Wilkinson

Frederick Law wrote:

Shouldn't similar input box use same code or class?

The code is already used in Extrude and a few other places.

Yes, but this is the not so simple task that needs to be done to get it to be in every PropertyManager. This input box that allows equations is something that was developed many years after all of the PropertyManagers were created. It is a very large task to go through every single PropertyManager (hundreds of them), replace all of the existing input box controls with the new one, and do all the "rewiring" of the code to make use of the new functionality of the new input box in the specific feature code that uses the PropertyManager. There is a generic SPR asking for it to be in all PropertyManagers (SPR# 628767). I would suggest you vote for that enhancement in the enhancement request system and if there are specific PropertyManagers where you would like it more than others, list those in the request so that our product definition team has that information for prioritizing implementation of the input box in various PropertyManagers.

Thanks,
                                    Jim

1 2 3 4 5