AnsweredAssumed Answered

Toolbox or not to toolbox?

Question asked by Daniel Mapp on Aug 29, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 24, 2018 by Barry Watkins

Another one of those toolbox vs custom library threads!

I’ve just joined a new company and am tidying up the libraries in anticipation of an ePDM deployment. Small company with only 3 Solidworks users, at the moment we are using a combination of local toolbox (uncustomised) and non-toolbox parts (networked).

At the moment the toolbox is completely default, no company parts numbers etc. assigned to fasteners, we have a had a couple of issues with fasteners changing size which is something I’ve never come across as this is my first time in a place that uses the toolbox.

Moving forward I can see 2 options:

Network the toolbox and customise with part numbers for fixings that are in the toolbox. If it doesn’t exist in the SW toolbox then it goes in a secondary network location where we keep all our non-toolbox fasteners.

Leave the toolbox as is and use it to ‘publish’ models for all the fasteners we need (probably by size and configurable by length) then have one single network location for all of our fasteners.

Looking at the pros and cons of each they seems pretty even at the moment so I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and can share their experiences?

Thanks

Outcomes