3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2018 7:54 AM by Derek Parks

how to replace file in composer

Sanchit Watts

I have created views for one file. Now, I want to replace it with a different product. The new product is almost similar to the 1st products, I have only option to update and if I update the file with the different product it does reflect any change. I don't want to create configuration but want to replace with different products?

is there any way to do that?

The only reason I want to do is that the two products are 80% similar so has the same assembly instruction. But instead of having Configuration we have a different model. I don't want to start again to create all the view that I have already created for the other product and I don't want to import view from other files as it will not be linked.

Can Anyone help, please ?

• Re: how to replace file in composer
          Derek Parks

If I am understanding you correct I would create a new Composer file from the old one and then replace the geometry thus not affecting your views.

So take your existing File "A" and save as naming it File "B". Then select and replace any geometry you would like. You will then need to select all your views and new parts and click Update Views with Selected Actors. This will keep you from having to start over from scratch. Now if you are adding new parts and not just replacing existing parts with different parts you may have to edit some individual views to get what you are after. Either way this should save you a lot of time if you already have a 80% correct existing file to work with.

Sanchit Watts

2nd file

1st file.

please see above. I have created the views for the 1st file. and the second file is almost similar.I have copied the 1st file and try to replace with the 2nd file then system should not reflect any chance. 

Derek Parks

You can't just copy a file and replace the whole assembly in that copied file for it to work. My previous solution will only work if you are replacing geometry that is already existing. On yours it looks like you are using two completely different assemblies. While they may be close and have the same parts to achieve this using my original solution would be more work then it's worth.

Another solution would be start by copying the file, merging your new assembly into this file, deleting your previous assembly leaving only the new one. If all you are worried about is position views and don't have any collaborations in said views you could create camera views and just drag them into the view port to get the matching views and be done. Once this is done just delete your camera views to clean up the file or leave them. If you have collaborations you can still use, you would then create your views using the camera views and turn off or on and re position any existing collaborations you may have.

I would definitely not start over if I had a file 80% completed to use. What I am trying to explain is fairly simple to achieve but it will take some working knowledge of Composer to understand without me walking you through each step.