There was an interesting question asked recently by James Pare: Custom Round Stock Tool regarding the need of adding the bounding cylinder around solid body (similar to the bounding box feature functionality in the latest releases of SOLIDWORKS) and linking the values to properties. This question than was used as a basis for the next edition of SOLIDWORKS Power User Challenge by Alin Vargatu: The 17th SOLIDWORKS Power-User Challenge - Round Stock Feature (Programming Challenge)
I have participated in this challenge and ended up with developing the small add-in for this functionality: Stock Fit Geometry which allows to add the parametric feature representing the cylindrical boundary with few additional options.
I have an intention to keep it free and open source available for community and I have few features planned such as:
- Adding installer for easy deployment
- Adding the ability to notify if update is available
- Adding the ability to specify the offset for the cylinder
- Adding the ability to lookup the stock size from the specified table
- Adding the ability to generate surface or wire body in addition to solid body (so it doesn't affect the mass properties)
- Adding different stock shapes (i.e. box)
The reason I have started this topic is I want to see if there is any interest in such a tool. If there is a demand I will be updating and maintaining the add-in.
Please let me know if this is something you are willing to use and if so what features might be useful to you.